Author Topic: Master Solvers Club, posts up to June 2019  (Read 76701 times)

Masse24

• View Profile
Re: Master Solvers Club
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
OCTOBER MSC PROBLEMS

https://tinyurl.com/OCTOBER2018MSC

!S  !H  !D  !C
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 12:24:36 AM »
620 for september. What did you all get?

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:14 AM »
PROBLEM A: 2 Clubs                    80
PROBLEM B: 5 Diamonds              70
PROBLEM C: Pass | Pass               50
PROBLEM D: Pass                        70                           
PROBLEM E: Pass                       100
PROBLEM F: 3 Diamonds               50
PROBLEM G: Pass                         90
PROBLEM H: Club King                  80

But October is just around the corner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udmjmfp98Sw
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:26:11 AM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
Had a good month:

PROBLEM A: 3 Clubs         100
PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs         100
PROBLEM C: Pass | Pass     50
PROBLEM D: 3 Notrump    100
PROBLEM E: Pass              100
PROBLEM F: 2 Diamonds   100
PROBLEM G: 3 Notrump    100
PROBLEM H: Heart Ace      100
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »
Congrats. Your only non-100 is where you agreed with me on C. Be careful of the company you keep!. But I am not yet convinced 3 !D is wise. Being imps, they probably won't hit it since they don't want to double us into a game contract but still. This seems to be there hand, I'm inclined to let them play it.
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 10:29:35 AM »
Congrats. Your only non-100 is where you agreed with me on C. Be careful of the company you keep!. But I am not yet convinced 3 !D is wise. Being imps, they probably won't hit it since they don't want to double us into a game contract but still. This seems to be there hand, I'm inclined to let them play it.
Thanks! The scoring, however, was BAM, which I have never played. But it was certainly a strong determining factor in my decision. I was just too afraid of getting hammered. I get the presumed reasoning though. Getting back to my comment upthread, the option that somehow escaped me was redouble. I like that choice best. I don't think it even entered my mind, which is silly.  ;) Because it should have. Sigh. 

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »
Clearly I need to read more carefully, indeed it is BAM.  I also did not note that the X by E was for TO, but since partner and I both have diamonds and W had a natural NT call I didn't need to look.

My carelessness together with your note that XX did not occur to you supports my general contention that the loss of focus  very often where to look when we ask where we went wrong.

I have been thinking more about the merits of 3D. The casual version of LOTT says that since we have at least nine diamonds we can bid to the 3 level, but I have never cared for that version. The original version was more in line with the name. The number of tricks we can make in diamonds, added to the number of tricks that they can take in clubs is often the same as the number of cards we hold in diamonds plus the number of cards they hold in clubs.  Of course at them time that E made his double W had not yet selected clubs. However, N doubled 1C and then raised our diamonds after the 1NT.  EW are showing strength and so I am not so sure N would bid 2D if he held, say, 4=3=4=2 shape.  Maybe we should play N for either a fifth diamond or, more likely, a stiff club. 4=4=4=1 would make 2D seem right.  Perhaps a stretch, but not unreasonable. If we give him that shape then we have nine diamonds and they have nine clubs, so LOTT says that if they can make exactly 3C then we can, likely, make exactly 3D.

Now LOTT is not right as often is its enthusiasts claim, but it seems to be about right on the average. And we have no objection when LOTT underestimates the trick total. So if LOTT is right, or if LOTT has underestimate the trick total, we might be fine with 3D. LOTT is based on double dummy play, but of course we will be brilliant.

I think I am stretching, maybe stretching quite a bit, but I have been trying to see why 3D is right over the X and this is what I have come up with.
Ken

yleexotee

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »
ooh, nice scores Todd! AS always, I"m answering the biding problems as if I'm on the table. I give myself no more than a few seconds to answer. Then I like to reconstruct my thinking which helps me to see my biases and methods more clearly. Still, I doubt giving it a full analysis would get me to almost all 100s!

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
Of course I would rather score well than score badly but I like this thread for two reasons. First it seems to be getting some participation. Anything that gets participation is good. Second, I see it as an useful stimulus for discussion and learning. I am interested in what the panelists think, but I am also interested in what the participants here think.

I mentioned some (after-)thoughts about C. I'll say a few words about A:

KJ97  /  2  / AKT3  / AK64

1 !D - 1 !H - 1 !S - 1NT - ?

I would expect partner to bid this way holding xx  / Axxxx  /  xxx  /  Qxx.
He could also, I think, hold Qxx  /  Axxx  /  Qx  /  Qxxx.

With the second hand he would, I assume, raise my 2 !C to 3 !C. Might I regret my weakish 2 !C call? Yes, I suppose so. But might I regret a 3 !C call? Yes, I think I might. 3 !C scores 100, 2 !C scores 80. OK.  I may be wrong but I'll be right someday.

October choices will be posted soon, I am holding a seance later this week. Wine will be served.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:24:56 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 08:00:48 PM »

October choices will be posted soon, I am holding a seance later this week. Wine will be served.
Noted.
I'll dust off my Magic 8-Ball.
Anyone got a Ouija board?

With all the extra spiritual help, we should be able to come up with some informed WAGs.

drac

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:42 AM »

well done to the most honorable Todd  8)

SOLVER: Wladislaus Dragwlya
        Castrum Sex
        Romania

Your Solutions for the September 2018 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: Pass                       0
PROBLEM B: Double                 70
PROBLEM C: 3 Diamonds      100
PROBLEM D: Pass                     70
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump           60
PROBLEM F: 2 Diamonds      100
PROBLEM G: Pass                    90
PROBLEM H: Diamond 2          20
------------------------------------------------
TOTAL                                        510

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 12:00:28 AM »
October guesses . . .

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 4 Diamonds        50
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump        100
PROBLEM C: Pass                   70
PROBLEM D: Double             100
PROBLEM E: 4 Diamonds      100
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs               90
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades          100
PROBLEM H: Diamond 10      100

A: 4 !D -- A bit of a cutesy MSC bid. Partner did not double, so does not have four  !S . I would bid 4 !C (this will probably be the majority "solvers" bid) with far less. 5 !C could be right, but is basically a transfer to 5 !D . I think with partner's ask for a stopper he should have solid !D . But how many  !H does he have? This 4 !D is passable, but with the right hand partner will go.

B: 2NT -- though 3 !D was close.

C: Pass -- Double was a close second.

D: X -- I flipped a coin between Double and Pass. Very close. 2 !H also was a possible choice.

E: 4 !D --  4 !D seems right here. It is forcing, yes? The suggestion of 4NT, with hearts wide open, is a red herring. Why not just unambiguously agree trump? But it’s Matchpoints! Should we just bid 3NT and be done with it? I would like 4 !C if it agreed diamonds. But I think it would only muddy the waters.

F: 2 !C -- Is there another choice?

G: 2 !S -- 3NT crossed my mind, but there is no rush. Partner opened in third seat.

H: !D 10 -- !D 10? !S 7 ? Hell, even a 4th from longest may be best.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:23:52 PM by Masse24 »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:42 AM »
oops. I had better do this. I have not read yours yet, and I had better do mine.
Ken

Masse24

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 12:59:46 AM »
oops. I had better do this. I have not read yours yet, and I had better do mine.
Wise. I highly recommend you do not look at mine this month (except for comedic relief). They are a rare combination of wild-ass guess, stupid, and cutesy-stuck-for-a-bid calls.  ;)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 02:07:31 AM »
SOLVER: Ken Berg
        Eldersburg MD
        U.S.A.

Your Solutions for the October 2018 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM C: Double
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 2 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 2 Spades
PROBLEM H: Spade 7

I was going to do this tomorrow but then I saw the deadline is 9am. But I am not sure more thought wouold help here.

One thing: On problem G I went looking at the MSC website to see if Drury was on and I could not decide. Partner opens a third hand 1H, I plan to bid Drury with that hand but then there is a 1S on my right. I sometimes play Drury is on as long as 2C is available, sometimes I play it is on over a double but not over an overcall, sometimes I play that Drury is off unless my rho passes. I could not figure out what BWS does.  If 2C would be Drury, that's my choice.
Ken