Author Topic: Worthy of discussion  (Read 2311 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Worthy of discussion
« on: June 02, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »
Typoscorrected. Some of them anyway.

There was a hand the other day that I gave to the bots today. These were the lesser bots, they are free today. I have a few hands to feed to them later when I rent the better bots.

At the table I was kibbing, they reached 6 !C. So did the bots. Since 7NT "makes with an overtrick", meaning that there are 14 top cards so you can take 13 tricks while pitching a winner, presumably we want to reach a grand.

http://tinyurl.com/y9qtxb3l

It seems to me that after the rkc bid and the Q ask, it would be reasonable for responder to bid 5NT showing that all keys are accounted for. Opener can then count 13 tricks without even knowing of the !S Q.

Is that too aggressive? I don't think so. Responder does not know about the 7th club, but responder does know about the !H K. So, if opener has AKx in !H, that third !H can be ruffed in relative safety. And this did all start with a 2 !C opening. 

A bid of 5NT says that all keys are present and accounted for, that responder lacks the strength to bid a grand on his own, but suggests that a grand is possible if opener can see his way clear. In this case opener can count 2+2+2+7=13 and bid 7NT.

So I think.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:41:37 AM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Worthy of discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 03:04:23 AM »

A bid of 5NT says that all keys are present and accounted for, that responder lacks the strength to bid a grand on his own, but suggests that a grand is possible if opener can see his way clear. In this case opener can count 2+2+2+7=13 and bid 7NT.

Agreed.
Looking at undisclosed length, and every King in the deck, opener could hardly have a better hand had responder chosen 5NT rather than 6 !C.
6 !C was timid.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln