Author Topic: Simple made less simple  (Read 9126 times)

ggriffin0

Re: Simple made less simple
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »
Thanks Ken! Sorry I let this post sit so long. Since this seems so incredibly easy and yes it is review, it is a needed review. Just the other day I saw: 1 !D - 2 !C -X and there was confusion about what suit(s) were being shown. Yes I left it ambiguous so we do our homework.

Anyways back to the topic at hand. If we are reviewing, let's do justice to it. If there is confusion about the first decision, then there likely is about the five continuation bids are.

Using the neg X pathway and responder's 2nd round bid is:

2 !H ?
3 !H ?
4 !H ?

Using the 2 !H pathway and responder's 2nd round bid is:

3 !H ?
4 !H ?

*yes there is some ambiguity let's say whatever opener's bids are NOT a reverse or !H agreement.

Anyone feel free to comment, this is review afterall :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:53:14 PM by ggriffin0 »

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 06:30:48 PM »
2 !H : Weak (less than 10 HCP else he responds 2 !H). Likely six !H.
3 !H : Not possible. A transfer bid, attempting to “transfer” partner to the partnership desk for a new partner.
4 !H : Not possible. A transfer bid, attempting to “transfer” yourself to a visit by the men wearing the white jackets.

3 !H : Six+ !H. Not forcing. Invitational values.
4 !H : Self-explanatory.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

ggriffin0

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »
That’s hilarious. Coming from the world of complete systems and undefined bids being defined perhaps we can flush out a few definitions in the former stance.

That said given a negative result or some wild final contract should opener get inventive, a new partner or a “pink slip” could be a result. Todd’s prolly right about the ‘net’ outcome.

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 12:55:09 AM »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »
Could the auction
1m-(1 !S) - X - Pass
1NT - (Pass) -3 !H
have a meaning?

Yes, I think so.  The X is unlimited. The 3 !H is presumably strong. A strong hand with 5+ hearts would have bid 2 !H on the first round.  So 3 !H is a strong hand with four hearts.
Hey, opener does not have four hearts so why bother?

Ok, I will channel Al Moyse, the namesake of the Moysian fit. Sometimes a 4-3 fit is just fine.  Maybe not often, but sometimes.

Ax
QTx
KJTx
Axxx

xxx
AKJx
Qxx
KQx

Playing in NT a spade is led. You have 8 top tricks, you cannot hold up more than one round. Maybe the clubs split. Maybe they don't.
Playing in hearts you duck the first spade. They can continue whatever they choose.  Say they play another spade. You win, you don't touch trump, you play on diamonds. Someone gets his Ace, and maybe they can then give partner a diamond ruff. That's it, you lose a spade, the diamond A, a diamond ruff. And they might not get the diamond ruff. As long as hearts are no worse than 4-2 you are fine.

So I think 3 !H is a possible bid. Opener, if he holds KQx of spades, will bid 3NT.  But with Ax in spades and a decent three card heart holding, he can consider 4 !H

And if, by some chance, the defense does not begin with a spade and another spade, then you still have your A so you draw trump in four rounds if needed and play on Ds.

I cannot recall this ever coming up but I think that if a partner bid 3 !H at the table I would construe it just as above. He is asking me to choose between 3NT and 4 !H.  I would choose.

If , instead, it went

1m-(1 !S) - X - Pass
1NT - (Pass) -4 !H

I might be a long time in figuring that one out.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:59:42 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 01:18:36 PM »
I cannot recall this ever coming up but I think that if a partner bid 3 !H at the table I would construe it just as above. He is asking me to choose between 3NT and 4 !H.  I would choose.

I agree. This is what it must mean. But I've never seen it. Certainly not a defined sequence for most partnerships. My guess, if undiscussed, would be a "solid" four-card suit. AKQJ or similar. But it would certainly qualify as a torture bid!  ;D

ggriffin0

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
What do you think of this? It is a method I prefer...

2 !H : Weak (less than 10 HCP else he responds 2 !H). Likely six !H.
3 !H : ***asking for a top honor, If so, partner bids 3N, which is P/C by responder. Allows partner to make a play in 3N with a weak 5/6x with another entry besides !H or shapely and weak play 4 !H (not recommended with 5 as opponents will simply pull ruffing suit).
4 !H : ***Cavalier, but presumably responder liked opener's second round...

3 !H : Six+ !H. Not forcing. Invitational values.
4 !H : ** To play