Author Topic: TM #1 Date  (Read 574 times)

monikrazy

• View Profile
Re: TM #1 Date
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
Ty very much for the video recordings, Charlene & Roger. I was not able to watch in real time, so am looking forward to reviewing them this weekend.

And congrats on a sucessful start to the whole IAC organization, these matches are great.

Curls77

• View Profile
Re: TM #1 Date
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »
Another gift to all :)
Hoki, our teacher and a player of the winning team, wrote an excellent post-match commentary. I tried attach the original file, but for some reason it wouldn't work, so I'll just paste bellow.
TY Oliver!

IAC takes on the World – and wins   [ 7-8 December 2017 ]

Board 1   
The IAC pair conducted a controlled auction to the top spot, North able to show the fifth diamond along the way where the World’s North seemed to be showing six spades and only four diamonds. Where the IAC checked on key cards the World simply blasted the slam. The IAC claimed at trick 1 where the World played four rounds before claiming.

Board 2
   Maybe I was taking a too pessimistic view of the South hand, thinking that 20 + 4 = only 24. But then opener might have had 21 points, in which case we should be in game at IMP scoring. As against that, North’s points are so solid that some might upgrade the hand to 22 points and open 2C, then rebidding 2NT. A final consideration in favour of passing 2NT is that it is often quite difficult to play a hand when all the points are in one hand – and that is very true on this actual layout where South’s points, while covering declarer’s weak points, make communications with dummy very difficult.
    On paper 3NT looks like a very easy contract to make. Declarer simply plays the king of diamonds to the ace, then the queen of diamonds, dropping East’s doubleton jack. Voilá: three heart tricks, three club tricks, and three diamond tricks. But that does use some clairvoyance. When the IAC declarer led a small diamond we were a trick short but could still have prevailed by the somewhat double-dummy line of cashing the top two clubs and playing a spade to dummy’s king. East can get only one spade trick and two heart tricks at the most.
    At the other table North for the World started on the clubs, giving up a club trick. When it came to tackling diamonds, he started with the king and then tried to finesse West for the jack of diamonds when playing for split honours would have worked. Still that must be a technically superior line to the one adopted by the IAC declarer who made no effort to escape for just one diamond loser. We were quite lucky to win 3 IMPs on the board when it could have been a 12-IMP loss.

Board 3   
When the IAC was sitting North-South, I as South opened 1H and rebid 2H over the forcing 1NT response. I think partner should have escaped to 3C – and I would have been content with that. The GIBs say 3C can be made while 2H should be defeated. In actual fact, the defence slipped when East ducked the opening lead. I have never been a big fan of doubleton leads – and here it could even have led to two down but when East ducked, the contract should still be one down – except that when I led the ten of hearts from hand West needs to follow with the nine  in order unblock trumps on the actual layout, an impossible play to find. As it went, three rounds of hearts cleared trumps and when diamonds also split 3-3, there were eight tricks via two spades, three hearts, two diamonds, and a club. That observation about hearts is true be¬cause East could play the AC after winning the first heart, and play another club after winning the second one. If East can win that second heart cheaply, that is with the eight of hearts, then East can give partner a ruff with the ace and the defence ends up making the ace and king of hearts separately.
    At the other table South fell from grace by refusing to leave partner in 3C and bidding 3H instead (after having rebid 2D on the previous round). That contract failed by two tricks because even though East also ducked the first round of clubs (initiated by declarer, after West led the much more sensible ten of spades) the defence still managed to score their top hearts separately after declarer started off with a low heart from hand instead of the ten or jack. That was 5 IMPs to the IAC.

Board 4   
Actually, apart from this board I was not unhappy with the way the match was going, but at the same time I was aware that it only takes one major swing to win or lose a match. The fact that we ended up being plus when I didn’t think we were getting many breaks at our table rests solely with the fine performance of our team mates. So on this board team mates did well to stop in 3S since 4S should have been down off the top. My flawed thinking placed declarer with only a singleton diamond or partner with one of the top three spades. With neither being the case, rather than trying to cut declarer off dummy with a switch diamonds I would have been better advised to switch to the ace of clubs and continue with a club when partner signals with the nine. Then partner could cash the king of hearts for one down and a gain of 8 IMPs instead of a loss of 10 IMPs – so an overall swing of 18 IMPs and enough to win the match by 22 IMPs instead of the slender margin of 4 IMPs.
    At the other table, where South did not overcall in hearts, North was facing a blind lead and he had no idea of the layout of the other suits – so it’s hard to fault the actual lead of a trump, which did not tax declarer at all.

Board 5   
This is the hand that clinched the win for the IAC: our N-S pair bid 1S – 2S – 4S. That should be a pickup? In fact unless East finds the double-dummy lead of a heart there are 12 tricks for the taking (knock out the ace of dia¬monds early, waiting with club ruffs until later). North for the World, Bob McKee, started with an offshape 1NT opening bid – thereby successfully shutting out the spade suit for his side. To add insult to injury, West ended up not only declaring 2H but also making it. On a spade lead and continuation, South can lead a club to partner’s ace, get an immediate club ruff, and when partner re¬gains the lead with the ace of hearts South can score a second club ruff – for two down. Instead North, at trick 2, wanting to cut down spade ruffs in dummy and not knowing partner had four-card support switched to the only card in his hand that let the contract make: the two of hearts. Maybe South should have overtaken the king of spades with the ace and switched to the singleton club. The motto here is: “He who knows [goes]”, in this case takes over. That was 13 miraculous IMPs to the IAC.

Board 6
Both tables reached 4S with the World’s N-S pair brushing away East’s pesky 3C preemptive opening bid easily enough. Well actually not so pesky since 5C is a good con¬tract, one that makes on the standard lead of a spade. Of course South should start with the ace of hearts to take a look at dummy and now two diamond losers are inevitable – for just one down. Looking at four spades in their respective hands, both Wests preferred, rightly, to take their chance on defence and right they were with declarer having to lose three spade tricks, a club, and a heart for two down and one of five flat boards.

Board 7   
I agree with Koba’s pass in fourth seat since the hand does not fulfil the rule of 15 (points plus spade length less than 15). The pass meant of course that table in the closed room finished before the one in the open room. At the other table East ended up as declarer in 1NT and made it. Double dummy declarer can make an overtrick after the spade lead which requires inserting the eight of spades from dummy at trick 1 and playing clubs from the top: two spade tricks, four diamonds, and two clubs. The defence should not make a club trick.

Board 8   
The IAC East opened 2D (seems fine for a third seat “anything goes” weak two), South overcalled 2H and then passed partner’s 2NT bid, sensibly enough. Both declarer and the defence did well and only eight tricks were made, the king of spades being where it was supposed to be. East led a spade to partner’s king (a diamond lead gives away a ninth trick) and declarer ducked the jack of diamonds switch and won the second diamond (ducking again also works) to play a club to dummy and a club back to the six, catching East’s doubleton ace, almost prescient.
    Where East passed, South opened 1H in fourth seat and the impetus of the auction drove North-South to 3NT, a not unreasonable shot at IMP scoring. If East leads a diamond it can even be made. This time East led the ace of clubs and switched to the jack of hearts which went to the queen and king. West switched to diamonds and declarer ducked both times but pitched a heart from dummy instead of a spade – and now the defence could have defeated the contract by two tricks but West failed to win the spade trick when declarer led a small spade from dummy, which cost the World one IMP.

Board 9   
Both tables reached the obvious 3NT from North. The auction started the same way at both tables (1C – 1D; 1NT); at one table responder jumped to 3NT while at the other table South showed his four-card heart suit since in 2/1 the 1NT rebid does not deny a four-card major. The IAC defence started with the ace of hearts which really does not look like a good lead, even if South did not bid hearts. A fourth-down spade would have been more challenging and that lead was indeed found at the other table where of course the bidding had made it clear that South held hearts. The World declarer played two rounds of clubs, cleverly (?) ducked by West (clubs break nicely) and switched to diamonds (which do not break nicely). Declarer made two spades, two hearts, three diamonds,  and two clubs. The IAC declarer had to contend with a spade lead and played the jack of clubs off dummy which West won to continue spades. Declarer persevered with clubs and eventually made two spades, one heart, two diamonds, and four clubs. Fortunately for the IAC, spades broke 4-4.

Board 10   
The World South player opened 1C and North jumped to 3C, not alerted. Unless I am missing something, East now found a 3NT bid (surely not for the two lower unbid?). In fact, after an auction like this it is usually best to use a 4C cue bid to show any two suits, with the possibility of correcting to spades if spades is one of the two suits. With the South hand being unlimited, bidding 3NT to play without a club stopper seems more than a little brazen to me. Since East was a passed hand, West’s decision to stay with 3NT on a dubious club stopper also seems a little brazen. The play was just as weird, South starting with three rounds of clubs. Declarer cashed five rounds of diamonds and North had to let go of all but one club. Had he known that declarer would have mis¬guessed spades he could have afforded to keep two clubs and that would have defeated the contract. Declarer really should have been listening to the bidding and placed the missing key cards with South, so finessed the queen of spades to claim nine tricks. Of course, if North had held on to two clubs then declarer would indeed no doubt have inserted the queen. North, after an earlier clever false card (the eight of spades), won with the jack of spades and cashed his high club but that in turn squeezed his partner beautifully – so that declarer made the last two spade tricks without having to guess any more.
    At the other table East opened a sub-minimum hand and North-South never had a look into the auction. East ended up as declarer, managing to steer clear of the rather dangerous 3NT – and the defence took just a club and a heart.

Board 11   
A “standard” sequence sees both tables playing in 2H, the superior spade fit not being found due to the vagaries of the 2/1 system. The West hand does not look as if it is quite good enough to invite game, but if West did invite game via a bid of 2S (3H would merely show a sixth heart and be competitive) East would of course jump to 4S.
Board 12   After the same start to the auction at both tables, 1D – 1H;  2S  neither East found what would seem to me the best bid, 3D, best because the jump shift rebid is forcing to game. So 3D sets trumps and leaves a whole level of bid¬ding open for slam exploration. One East bid 4D and the other bid 5D. Both pairs ended up in 6D and of course took all 13 tricks, Bob finding the superior lead of a trump, Spiros not being able to resist the lead of the king of spades from such an attractive holding.
    Over 3D West can bid 3H (control), East can bid 4C (control), West can bid 4H (second-round control as well), East can bid 4S (second round control), and maybe West knows enough to check on key cards (East’s club control might have been only the king) before bidding 5NT (showing all key cards), and East can bid 7D, knowing that the queen of hearts will provide the 13th trick. So we have (North-South passing throughout):

West      East
 1D        1H
 2S        3D
 3H        4C
 4H        4S
 4NT      5C
 5NT      7D

by Hoki