Author Topic: Bot std, the wave of the future?  (Read 3666 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Bot std, the wave of the future?
« on: December 06, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Yleexotee has a number of convention cards, playing with me he posted a mostly bot standard card.  The changes were modest, for example 1NT-2S is minor suit stayman for the bots, Joe changed it to be a transfer to clubs. Either is fine.

Kibbing later, I noticed that one of the other kibs said in he profile that she likes a modified gib cc. I suppose 2 examples don't make a  trend, but it's something.

One of the pluses of having a basic structure is that then you can home in on the details.

The bot write-up says new minor forcing. Fine, but when does it apply and how exactly is it played?
I think I earlier mentioned an example: 1H-1S-1NT. The bots play 2C is nmf, 2D is natural (I presume the natural 2D is non-forcing but I am not sure).  There are advantages. After the 2C  there is room to bid 2D to show a fit for neither major and a minimum hand for the 1NT, while 2NT shows a fit for neither major and a maximum, say 14 or a good 13. Responder may have been hoping to play a game if he found a spade fit but without it he may feel 2NT is a good place to play.

How about 1m-1M-2m. Some play nmf on here, especially of m is clubs, some don't.   Here are two recent hands with the bots.

http://tinyurl.com/ycoo8aoy
1D-1S-2D-2H is played as strong with 3+ (not 4+) hearts and 4+ spades.

http://tinyurl.com/yavjs375
1C-1S-2C-2D is played as strong with 3+ diamonds and 4+ spades.

In neither case does it promise 5+ in the major although no doubt there often will be 5, since with only 4 anther bid might well be more attractive.

I think I like this.

At any rate, I am interested in details about the bot approach that have been encountered by others.   I will probably reply to my own post here with further examples of my own.

I also think 2-way nmf is actually simpler than 1-way, but that's not the bot way and I will put that off for now.

Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bot std, the wave of the future?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
My "bot" is Jack, ie software. He plays those sequences differently.

Because we "agreed" play Walsh, strong responder will bid diamonds first then reverse to spades. Therefore
1C-1S-2C-2D would show weakish hand with 6-10 hcp with 5+ diamonds and  4-5 spades.

2nd sequence is not necessarily strong, just 1 round forcing,
1D-1S-2D-2H shows 10+HCP, with 5+ spades and 4+ hearts.
If responder was GF with 4-4 in majors, he'd rebid 3C. And if same shape but weaker, he'd bid 1H first and not spades.

Oh boy, wouldn't I be confused with "your" bots and you with my poor Jack!  :o