Author Topic: Bridge lessons from Harvey (the rabbit, not the hurricane)  (Read 2706 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Bridge lessons from Harvey (the rabbit, not the hurricane)
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
In the 1950 movie Harvey, Elwood P Dowd  (Jimmy Stewart) befriends an invisible rabbit. When told by a psychiatrist that he must wrestle with reality,  Dowd replies "Doctor, for 35 years I have wrestled with reality and I am happy to say that I have won".

A hand:

!S JT432
!H AK5
!D 6
!C AKT5

Imps, nobody vulnerable, after three passes I opened 1 !S. Partner bids 1NT (forcing or perhaps as a passed hand only semi-forcing) and you bid 2 !C.  Partner convert this to 2 !D.   I am not delighted but so far nobody has doubled and I pass.

This is one of those Bot tourneys and so I get switched to the North hand to play it. I'll put the North hand at the bottom since that's where we are used to seeing the declaring hand in bridge diagrams.

!S JT432
!H AK5
!D 6
!C AKT5

!S 6
!H QJ82
!D J7542
!C Q82

Ok. If we are going to struggle with reality we first must identify reality. The opponents have 7 diamonds and surely, unless there is a highly unlikely AKQ tight,  they can take at least 4 of them. They can also take the !S A. So forget about playing for overtricks!  The struggle will be to hold them to 4 diamond tricks and the way to do this is to lead diamonds at every opportunity. When you play your first diamond, everyone follows including the dummy. After  that, when you lead a diamond you draw 2 of theirs for 1 of yours. [Added: Although this worked, it did not have to work if the bots were very clever. See comments from O and me below.]

Often these hands can go either way depending on who does what.  I made 2 for +90 and a decent score. Some people opened 1NT instead of 1 !S in 4th position. I gather the acbl has passed some sort of rule about when you can and when you can't open 1NT with a stiff. Nobody has to make a rule to prevent me from opening this 1NT, it would never occur to me to do so. In fact the 1NT opening worked out. The opponents can certainly take 4 diamonds and 3 spades for off 1 but what they can do and what actually happens is often different. You have at least 7 tricks as soon as you get the lead.

Continuing on the theme of wrestling with reality, here is a hand from Grant's lecture/lesson yesterday. I hope he will forgive me for lifting it.

!S T976
!H 9654
!D AQT52
!C None

!S AK52
!H J3
!D K76
!C KJ85

After three passes you open the S hand 1NT. North bids 2 !C, you bid 2 !S, all pass.

The opening lead is the !D J, you take it with the K and play the AK of !S. E follows small to the first !S and shows out on the second, so W now holds the QJ in spades.

Bummer. So you claim 8 tricks, +110.

The reality is that W will get 2 spade tricks. Nothing can be done about that. But you may have some control over the consequences of this. Run diamonds. W can ruff in if he likes, as soon as he does he has only one trump left. He can ruff in with the !S J and play the !S Q but then what? You will be able to ruff a !C back to the board to pick up the rest of your !D, and you still have a trump in your hand to eventually ruff a !H. You get the 2 top spades, 1 ruff on the board, 1 ruff in hand, and 4 diamonds. There are variants, for example when W ruffs in he could play off 3 hearts. You ruff the third !H  in hand, ruff a !C  to the board and lead another !D. This way W ruffs 2 diamonds, good for him, but you ruff 2 hearts. As near as I can see, S can claim 8 tricks after playing the AK of !S.

I was 11 when I first saw Harvey, and even before it came back on TCM, an old movie channel, I remembered a lot of it. "for 35 years I have wrestled with reality and I am happy to say that I have won". I like that.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:17:26 PM by kenberg »
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Re: Bridge lessons from Harvey (the rabbit, not the hurricane)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
Ken, Hand 1. You didn't say what the opening lead was :)
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Bridge lessons from Harvey (the rabbit, not the hurricane)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:12:28 PM »
Just as 1NT can be beaten, so can 2D be beaten. It's one of those hands where we might or might not make/beat it.

Playing against the bots, the opening lead was the !C 3 after which I can make it. But there is an interesting rub that I have not yet thought through. I will reproduce the whole hand below, but let me tell you about the first four tricks.

T1 Club won in hand
T2 diamond won on my right
T3 spade won on  my left by the A
T4 spade 9 to the J,  Q,  and ruffed by me.

According to GIB, my RHO could have beaten me by not covering the J with the Q. This did not occur to me, and did not occur to the bot either. I will have to see think a bit to see why it is true, but I guess the idea must be that they already got their spade, and so they must concentrate on getting five diamond tricks. instead of four. I'll have to see how ducking the spade helps. 

Gib sees the winning line as taking the club at T1 and then playing off all the clubs (they split 3-3),  tossing the spade on the last club. This does seem to work, they probably get five diamonds this way but no spades. I would not say that the hand is a favorite to make regardless of which line I take.

Here is the whole thing:

http://www.bridgebase.com/tools/handviewer.html?bbo=y&lin=st||md|2SJT432HAK5D6CAKT5,SKQ875H93DKQ9C976,S6HQJ82DJ7542CQ82,SA9HT764DAT83CJ43|sv|0|ah|Board%208|mb|P|mb|P|mb|P|mb|1S|an|Major%20suit%20opening%20--%205+%20!S;%2011-21%20HCP;%2012-22%20total%20points|mb|P|mb|1N|an|2-%20!S;%206-11%20HCP;%2012-%20total%20points|mb|P|mb|2C|an|New%20suit%20--%203+%20!C;%203-%20!H;%205+%20!S;%2011+%20HCP;%2012-18%20total%20points|mb|P|mb|2D|an|5+%20!D;%202-%20!S;%206-9%20HCP|mb|P|mb|P|mb|P|pc|C3|pc|C5|pc|C9|pc|CQ|pc|D2|pc|D3|pc|D6|pc|D9|pc|S5|pc|S6|pc|SA|pc|S2|pc|S9|pc|SJ|pc|SQ|pc|D4|pc|D5|pc|DT|pc|S3|pc|DK|pc|SK|pc|D7|pc|D8|pc|S4|pc|C4|pc|CA|pc|C7|pc|C2|pc|H5|pc|H9|pc|HQ|pc|HT|pc|DJ|pc|DA|pc|CT|pc|DQ|pc|H7|pc|HA|pc|H3|pc|H2|pc|HK|pc|S8|pc|H8|pc|H6|pc|CK|pc|C6|pc|C8|pc|CJ|pc|ST|pc|S7|pc|HJ|pc|H4|

Added: Upon reflection, possibly mu route was not the best. It worked. Often with hands such as this,  the result is uncertain. Identifying that sure we have four diamonds to lose. and one spade to lose unless we can pitch it on the fourth club, is a start. At least we know what we are aiming for. Interestingly, if I had put up the 10 from dummy at T1 then starting in on diamonds right away works out fine. Winning the first trick in hand caused problems, but the defense failed to take advantage of my error.

I will put in the entire hand with the play below.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 12:31:36 PM by kenberg »
Ken