Author Topic: A stronger in-between hand  (Read 3336 times)

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
A stronger in-between hand
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
Also in a spur teams match, I picked up !S A !H K92 !D AKQJ !C A9852.  Although the LTC is only 4, I usually evaluate these hands based on winners not losing trick count.  Despite 21 HCPs, this just did not rate a 2 !C opening for me.  Without club support, I am reluctant to rate the club suit as much as 3.  So I would have to round up to get myself to the 8.5 tricks I want for my non-NT 2 !C openers.  For the minors, I like to increase the requirements a bit because it is an extra trick to make game.

I ended up opening 1 !C, reversing into 2 !D when partner bid the expected 1 !S.  Then we floundered a bit into 3NT.   Partner held !S QT64, !H Q86 !D 93 !C KQJT.  Six clubs is icy with two pitches on the diamonds.

Of course the other table opened 2 !C and rebid 3 !C, and their partner jammed this into the club slam.

My other thought was to follow the suggestion that came out of Wackojack's posting, bid 2NT to show a 21 point version of the 15 point hand where 1NT was such a popular alternative (from Todd's poll results).  With my luck, if I opened 2NT, partner would raise to 6NT and a spade would knock out my ace at trick 1 and effectively set me on the go.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: A stronger in-between hand
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
I heartily agree with the !C opening instead of either 2 !C or 2NT. If partner cannot respond to 1 !C I see 6 tricks in my own hand and I doubt a passing partner would be supplying 3 more. Or 2 more if the contract is 2NT.

And it looks like it should have gone well, assuming you had some sort of Leb agreement over a reverse. After 1 !C - 1 !S - 2 !D partner has a clear 3 !C call, assuming that this is a forcing call showing values and a !C fit.  Maybe opener cannot yet count 12 tricks but he knows his partner has !C and some values, that's a pretty good start. It seems to me that opener could now bid 3 !D and, when his partner does not bid 3 !H, opener could next bid 6 !C. If there were some sort of key card ask, then opener could find pard had the k and Q of !C, that would be nice but after the positive response to the reverse I think 6 !C is pretty reasonable on it's own merits.

At any rate, I definitely like opening this 1 !C.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 03:55:15 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »
Yup.

Agree with 1 !C . 2NT would be a distant second choice.

2 !C ? Nope. Never. No way.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »
A pretty much unavoidable aspect of Spur matches is that on all but the most straightforward hands there is a substantial danger of mis-communication.  After 1 !C - 1 !S - 2 !D, what means what to whom? Suppose that our pre-match discussion has included "Leb pard?" - "OK". Uh huh. There is Leb over NT interference, Leb over weak 2-X-Pass, there is Leb over a reverse. Did we just agree to play all of them? And we have seen in an earlier thread that if we have agreed to play Leb over weak 2-X-Pass then the details of this are understood in different ways by different people. And in the auction here, suppose responder wishes to make a relay to 3 !C with a weak hand (not the case here) then is the done with 2 !H or with 2NT? I prefer 2 !H, but with a pick-up I would have no idea. If partner does bid 3 !C over 2 !D, and if I understand that to mean a !C fit with values, then what next?  As mentioned, I like 3 !D after which I assume 3 !H would show the A, and 3NT would deny the A. After which then? I think 4 !S would show an A and announce that we are playing this in at least 5 !C, after which responder, with !C KQJT could reasonably say "If pard is inviting, I'm accepting", and bid 6 !C. But maybe he would be worried about losing 2 tricks in !H. Which is why I was thinking maybe opener just goes to 6 !C after responder does not show the !H A. Pard has values, they have to be somewhere.

I suppose this could be argued in various ways. It would be good to know what a pair with detailed agreements would do.

or maybe over opener's 3 !D a 3 !C bid by resonder is right. A couple of major suit Qs don't really suffice for NT.  Then it should be easy for opener to figure responder for quite good !C. What else?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:09:27 PM by kenberg »
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 07:51:13 PM »
Several of the players that I have partnered with in spur teams have had leb on their profile.  I have never asked in which situations they included leb as a option.  yleexotee is the only one that I have specifically discussed using leb over reverses. 

At the table, I bid 3 !H over 3 !C to finish showing my shape, but whether I continue over 3NT depends a lot on partnership confidence.  With experienced partnerships, I would not hesitate to bid 4 !C, knowing that they would take the bid as mildly slammish.  But with the casual partnerships of the spur teams, I thought about moving, but was also afraid of creating a bidding disaster (not to mention breaking Joe's rule) by being dropped there.  If we had leb in place there, the 3 !C bid would clearly be forward going, but without, it could just be a preference.

Oh well, there is always a risk in playing in casual partnerships; if I were looking for perfection, I'd only play with those I have hammered out detailed agreements.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 07:53:46 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:42:52 PM »
Yes, even I agree that after the positive response to a reverse, given that it is known to be a positive response, then 4 !C is not passable. But, imo, even of 3 !C was not a positive response then, after 3 !C -3 !H -3NT, if that's how it went, then 4 !C should be forcing.  If, after 3 !C, I was going to pull a 3NT response to 3 !H, the I would not bid 3 !H in the first place unless I was making a slam try. As  general agreement it seems that if you make a bid at the 3 level that suggests to partner that he might want to bid 3NT, and then when he does bid 3NT, you pull it, I think partner needs to re-evaluate the meaning of that 3 level bid you made. It may have sounded at first like a try for 3NT, but when he accepted and then you pulled, it hardly could have been a try to get to 3NT.

If the 3 !C over the 2 !D could have been on a  6 count then I think a direct raise to 4 !C should indeed be passable.but 3 !H - 3NT - 4 !C should not be passable. With the hand you have, you probably are up for game against almost any hand that could scrape up a response to 1 !C. But with a lesser hand, and if 3 !C does not show, or deny, extra values, I can imagine that an invitational 4 !C, bid directly over 3 !C,  might be just what the doctor ordered. Best to be playing Leb!

I am not sure how many agree with this, and of course maybe there could somewhere be an exception, but generally this seems logical.

But, playing without detailed agreements, I completely understand the problem. It's frequent.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 08:47:16 PM by kenberg »
Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 09:56:38 PM »
I have not seen responder's hand so as an excercise I will say what I think each bid is showing in Ken's auction.
1C                                                        1S 
2D    5+C, 4+D longer clubs strong         3C      3+ clubs, 4+spades, game force so 8+HCP
3H    Tell me more                                 3NT     Didnt bid 3N over 2D so has a shortage.  5314 looks most likely. 
??
So I would guess something like at QJxxx, Axx, x, J10xx. So I would reasonbly confidently bid 6C.

Now looking back into jcreech's post I see    Partner held !S QT64, !H Q86 !D 93 !C KQJT.  Ah yes I see that qxx in hearts is also possible. 

So I agree with Ken's suggestion that 3H is the best bid to get you to the correct contract