Author Topic: Defensive daring  (Read 1682 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Defensive daring
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:38:50 PM »
Defense is tough for several reasons. A frequent reason is lack of agreement. Pat and I had a success today but we had not discussed it before so we were a bit lucky.

Here is my hand: 

AKJT7
T98

Rho opened 1NT, Lho raised to 3NT, I am on lead.

The problem is obvious. I want partner to throw the Q if she has it, and otherwise give count.

We have not discussed this. So what do I do?

I led the A, dummy came down with 654, partner played the 2. We are playing udca, that we have discussed. But still?

I decided that 2 was count and denies the Q, so declarer has Qxx and I need to switch, and, wonderfully, that was correct.

Just for the fun of it, I went to the literature. Old literature since I am old.

The first two books I tried were Bridge, a 600+ page collection of articles from1998, and Defensive Bridge Play, a shorter but still lengthy book by Kanntar, from 1974.

In Bridge: Mark Horton has an article on leads against NT. He says the A asks for attitude and the K for count. He doesn't say which asks for the drop of the Q but usually that goes with asking for countL

Kantar says that the lead of the A asks for the drop of the Q, and lacking the Q, give count. The lead of the K asks for attitude.

I have not looked elsewhere, but my feeling is that there are plenty of people who play it one way, and plenty of others who play it the other. I am pretty sure that Goren played that the A asks for the drop of the Q.

I have no strong opinion about which is right, or even which way could be considered  standard. Well, I just now looked up Bridge World Standard. They say the A asks for an honor drop or, lacking an honor, a count signal.

Incidentally, every blue moon or so someone opens a gambling 3NT. These conventions are off against a gambling 3NT.

My purpose with this note is to advertise the importance of agreements. I think that A asking for a drop or count is more or less common in my neck of the woods (near Baltimore) but it is far from universal.

The hands today were great.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:42:03 PM by kenberg »
Ken