Author Topic: (1m)-X-(Pass)-? when 4-4  (Read 2331 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
(1m)-X-(Pass)-? when 4-4
« on: January 30, 2019, 01:47:28 AM »
We had an online discussion earlier today about how to respond to a take-out double of a minor when holding both majors. I respond 1 !S, at least that's my thought if the hand has adequate strength so that I am willing to later bid 2 !H.

This of course is at odds with what you would normally do if partner opened 1m and Rho passed. But these are different auctions.

Let's first look at that more basic case where partner opens 1m, rho passes, and you are 4-4 in the majors. Partner might fit neither major, or one major, or both majors. So you bid 1 !H and partner can raise or bid 1 !S, either way you find your major fit if you have one.

But now we look at (1m)-X-(Pass)-?. Now this time, when you hold both majors, it is to be expected that opener has at least one major. But he won't always have four cards in both majors. With, say, say4/3, one way or the other and decent values he might well make a take out double. But the logic from the uncontested auction does not apply. If you bid 1 !H and he has four spades and three hearts, he will not bid 1 !S over your 1 !H. I bid 1 !S. Of course if he has four hearts and three spades I am in a 4-3 fit but the auction seldom dies at 1 1S. At my next opportunity, if I can,  I bid 2 !H. This seems quite safe. If partner has four spades he will take me back to spades. If he does not have four spades then he is almost certain to have four hearts. He leaves me in hearts. 

I am a believer in going to written sources so I tried but did not find much discussion of this simple idea in books or online. Finally I tried the Bridge Encyclopedia, Sixth edition. They agree with me. On page 510 they give the hand Axxx / Kxxx / xxx / xx  and recommend a response of 1 !S to a take out double, later bidding hearts if possible. This assumes of course that the hand lacks the strength to simply bid 2m in response to the double of 1m.

If anyone has any other references I would be happy to hear of them. This comes up from time to time and often my choice of 1 !S is seen as eccentric. To me it seems logical, but so far the Encyclopedia is the only reference I can find that weighs in on it at all.

To be concrete, here is a hand: !C are  xx,   the !D are AQxx  and the majors are KQxx and Kxx in one order or the other. Your right hand opponent opens 1 !C. Surely you make a take out double. Suppose partner is 4-4 in the majors, and responds to your X. I claim that, playing my way, you will likely find your major suit fit regardless of whether it is in hearts or spades. For example, 1 !C -  X  -  Pass  -  1 !S   -  2 !C  -  Pass  -  Pass- 2 !H is one possible auction.  But if, instead, I respond 1 !H, and you your majors are !H Kxx  and !S KQxx, just how do we find that spade fit?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:55:55 AM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: (1m)-X-(Pass)-? when 4-4
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »
Ken,

I do this too, especially when weak. So 0-8 or so HCP. If I advance a 1 !S call to partner's takeout double, then partner knows my range. If the nasty opps bid on, competing to 2 of their minor, a subsequent 2 !H paints a picture of my hand strength and shape. It should not get partner too excited, but does give him the option of a pass-or-correct. Could I be 5=4 majors on this auction? Yes, but I think an advanced partner will understand that 4=4 is possible.

I do not recall where I first heard of this, but as you wrote--it's logical.

[Edit] I checked my copy of Complete Book on Takeout Doubles by Mike Lawrence. In Ch. 6, Responding when partner doubles a One-bid, pg. 87 he writes:

"IMPORTANT - The next hand shows a useful bidding strategy that you can use when your partner makes a takeout double and you have two four-card majors without enough strength to make a strong bid. This usually means you have up to 8 HCP."

!S KT74  !H Q982  !D 82  !C J84

"Bid 1 !S. If your partner had opened 1 !C , you would respond 1 !H , leaving him room to rebid 1 !S . When your partner makes a takeout double, your bidding is different. After a takeout double, you should respond in the higher-ranking of two four-card suits. If the auction goes favorably for you, you will later bid 2 !H to give partner a choice."

So . . . a decent source.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 11:08:04 PM by Masse24 »
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: (1m)-X-(Pass)-? when 4-4
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 01:32:27 AM »
Thanks. I even have that book around somewhere.
Ken