Author Topic: How about challenging the Acol club to a teams match?  (Read 10967 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: How about challenging the Acol club to a teams match?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 01:00:53 AM »
"Meckstroth and Roswell do not bid exactly alike"

I didn't know Meckstroth played with aliens  :)

I keep meaning to learn to type
Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2022, 08:32:49 PM »
ACOL Site has been updated with detailed info:
    The IAC versus Acol Club team match is taking place on Saturday 26th February, starting at 8:00 pm UK time (2000utc, 3pm eastern usa).
Deadline for registrations is February 21st, 2359utc.
It is hoped that 5 teams from each side will be taking part, with some from the IAC playing their Super Precision system. It had been hoped that we could hold this match in two timings, one earlier in the day, to allow Asian players access as well. Unfortunately, that has not been possible on this occasion. But, if successful, this match may well be repeated, and we will make every effort to bring that about in future.
    Sanya (holding bbo_iac) has agreed to start the teams at approximately two minute intervals. All matches will play the same boards. 16 in all... changing opposition at the half way point. Scoring will be done by IMPs.
    On the Monday after, the 28th February, instead of the usual “Dare” tournament and subsequent discussion with Cedar or poco1, they will give their analysis of the boards played in the match. I’m sure some hands will favour the IAC systems, and some will favour the Acolites. But there are sure to be aspects in the play and defence that are worth looking at.
    The primary objective is to learn how to play against unfamiliar systems, but, above all, to enjoy yourself!
Colin  (poco1)

Please all note the dates, times. We'll match teams in order they registered, so we can NOT promise all will have opponents, we'll advise after registration deadline ended.
All captains should write to IAC.at.BBO@gmail.com and submit the following info:
TEAM NAME
USERNAMES of all teammates, and who will play in 1st half and who in second (or we choose by order).
It's the captain's responsibility to assure that all teammates are available and online, ready to start playing in announced time.

So far, we have the following teams registered:

Team name: 7 no trumps
Captain: WackoJack
Kenberg+Jeschca1
WackoJack+Veeree

POSSIBLE MERGE OF 2 OCP TEAMS INTO 1

Team name: From All Countries
Captain: maysie
Uof FL Jen+lysblanc
brian_m+Boleo1 (or brian_m+OliverC)
soko52+RaNTuL

Team name: OCP Beta
Captain: Epee9
Epee9+Eszter5
Bfortune+sjAldan
p0stm0rtem+iamadeus

Team name: Fruit Machine Swiss
Captain: dblqueen
dblqueen+dickhy
bABsG+msphola

Team name: Somewhere Across the Border
Captain: Palych
bluBAYOU+Palych
FleuretteD+RMT2

Please let me know Team name, or I'll call you something funny that you might not find so funny ; )
And please be sure all partners are paired correctly, let me know if there are any changes, or who spare players might be, if any teammate lost connection / power, etc.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:34:12 PM by Curls77 »

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2022, 11:11:07 PM »
7 no trumps is the team name suggested by vee for us.

Toasterin + Tislafi would like to play in a team.  Team mates for Blu + Palych?  I am told that they do not know how to get onto this site. 

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2022, 03:00:12 AM »
7 no trumps is the team name suggested by vee for us.

Toasterin + Tislafi would like to play in a team.  Team mates for Blu + Palych?  I am told that they do not know how to get onto this site.

Sure, or 7NTXX. Or 7NTXXX, go for it! But the conservative 7NT is fine.
Jack, I appreciate your efforts.
Ken

peuco

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2022, 05:44:10 PM »
Hi i can join Blubayou in a TM against Acol, not as his partner

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2022, 09:06:36 PM »
If Blu is happy and you have a worthy partner then we could go with that.  Who is your partner?  We still have Toaterin + Tislafi  who I hear would like to play in a team but I have not heard from them.  So now I defer to Blu to choose who he wants as team mates.  Lets get this agreed  before Sanya's deadline of Feb 21st for registration.   

hoki

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2022, 09:24:25 PM »
Am happy to make myself available ... to play with anyone,
Todd, Joe, Donna, Dima, Ken, Dmitry, whoever.

Oliver

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2022, 01:37:32 PM »
ACOL Site has been updated with detailed info:
    The IAC versus Acol Club team match is taking place on Saturday 26th February, starting at 8:00 pm UK time (2000utc, 3pm eastern usa).
Deadline for registrations is February 21st, 2359utc.
It is hoped that 5 teams from each side will be taking part, with some from the IAC playing their Super Precision system. It had been hoped that we could hold this match in two timings, one earlier in the day, to allow Asian players access as well. Unfortunately, that has not been possible on this occasion. But, if successful, this match may well be repeated, and we will make every effort to bring that about in future.
    Sanya (holding bbo_iac) has agreed to start the teams at approximately two minute intervals. All matches will play the same boards. 16 in all... changing opposition at the half way point. Scoring will be done by IMPs.
    On the Monday after, the 28th February, instead of the usual “Dare” tournament and subsequent discussion with Cedar or poco1, they will give their analysis of the boards played in the match. I’m sure some hands will favour the IAC systems, and some will favour the Acolites. But there are sure to be aspects in the play and defence that are worth looking at.
    The primary objective is to learn how to play against unfamiliar systems, but, above all, to enjoy yourself!
Colin  (poco1)

Please all note the dates, times. We'll match teams in order they registered, so we can NOT promise all will have opponents, we'll advise after registration deadline ended.
All captains should write to IAC.at.BBO@gmail.com and submit the following info:
TEAM NAME
USERNAMES of all teammates, and who will play in 1st half and who in second (or we choose by order).
It's the captain's responsibility to assure that all teammates are available and online, ready to start playing in announced time.

So far, we have the following teams registered:

Team name:?
Kenberg+Jeschca1
WackoJack+Veeree

maysie+Boleo1
lysblanc+oktayA
RaNTuL+Uof FL Jen

Epee9+Eszter5
Bfortune+sjAldan
arda85+soko52

dblqueen+dickhy
bABsG+msphola

This team has not yet confirmed officially:
Blu+Palych
and another pair.

Please let me know Team name, or I'll call you something funny that you might not find so funny ; )
And please be sure all partners are paired correctly, let me know if there are any changes, or who spare players might be, if any teammate lost connection / power, etc.

A week from today!

Let me see if I have it about right.

I think the teams you list are all iac teams? Will we see acol teams listed? Are any of the listed teams playing Precision, Super or otherwise?

As to "USERNAMES of all teammates, and who will play in 1st half and who in second (or we choose by order)." we all seem, so far at least, to be four person teams. If I understand this correctly then all four of us will be playing both halves. That is, our team will lay 16 boards against one acol team, with Carl and I sitting against one pair from the acol team for the first 8 boards, and against the other pair from the same acol team for the second 8 boards.

Subs would be useful as insurance, hopefully not needed. I could ask Pat if she could be ready to hop in if needed.

It's true that some hands go better with one system, other hands go better with a different system. For example, you have 2=3=3=5 shape and partner opens 1 !S. With a 14 count, playing 2/1 you can show clubs and establish a GF by bidding 2 !C.  Otoh, if 2/1 is not a GF then, with an 11 count, you can bid 2 !C and rebid 2NT, showing close to opening values and clubs.  But for me, a good result or a bad result typically depends on judgment and luck, good or bad as it might be.

For the review, I hope we can discuss interesting hands.  I always go over my play in the DARE hands, often finding errors playing contracts that I made,  and I often post hands to get input from others. I have always preferred this approach. In college I would sit down with friends and discuss what we were supposed to be learning, and then I would go off by myself and think about it, or sometimes do this in reverse order. It suits me better than just listening. But that's me. I hope we can post and discuss some interesting hands.

Anyway: Saturday at 3 EST. I will be there, I am looking forward to it.

Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2022, 06:53:58 PM »
Quote from: kenberg
I think the teams you list are all iac teams? Will we see acol teams listed? Are any of the listed teams playing Precision, Super or otherwise?
We register only IAC teams. Colin (poco1) registers ACOL teams. On Feb 22nd, we will compare the lists, hoping for 5 teams from each club and set who will be opposing whom. We'll publish all that on both IAC and ACOL sites, and also give direct email contacts to Captains of teams, so that they can communicate, state systems, and prepare defence.

As to "USERNAMES of all teammates, and who will play in 1st half and who in second (or we choose by order)." we all seem, so far at least, to be four person teams. If I understand this correctly then all four of us will be playing both halves. That is, our team will lay 16 boards against one acol team, with Carl and I sitting against one pair from the acol team for the first 8 boards, and against the other pair from the same acol team for the second 8 boards.
Teams can have more than 8 players, and have different pairs playing in 1st and second half, it's up to the Captain to decide given player's availability. If you have just 2 pairs and are willing to play all 16 boards, great!  :)
Having more players in teams, helps Captain to call as subs, if any of teammates loses connection/power, etc.

For the review, I hope we can discuss interesting hands.
Instead of usual Dare tourney+review, we'll have full review of hands played in matches on Monday, Feb 28th, at 1900utc, 2pm, the usual time.

The list of IAC teams posted above is just preliminary, and will remain so until we close the registrations.
I am now told that 2 OCP teams will merge into 1 team, so we are one team short for 5 teams ready in ACOL.
So please Hoki, Peuco, Donna, foxtrott, Vlad...   -- and all that want to participate, get in contact and register your team, there is just 2 days left.
For this 1st time of IAC vs ACOL event, we have just 1 date/time : FEB 26, 2000 utc.

I am sure all will go well, and if players like it, and there is interest for more, we'll schedule similar for next month, if possible with 2 alternative days/times. But that's to be seen later.

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2022, 02:28:41 PM »
FleuretteD and RMT2  will join with Palych & Blu :)
  Team Name:  Somewhere Across the Border
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 07:05:27 PM by blubayou »
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2022, 09:29:16 PM »
Noted Blu!!
I could not imagine this event go without your team   :)

Just 1 more they to register, and we are still 1 team short, if OCP merges into 1 team. I so wish all of you that are interested and unpaired or unteamed would contact each other and form the team.

tislafl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2022, 03:36:58 PM »
Please include Toasterln and tislafl in a team if possible.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2022, 09:57:46 PM »
Please include Toasterln and tislafl in a team if possible.

Hi. The registrations are just about to be closed, and we have 5 full teams.
BLUbayou is happy to have you in his team, either to play 1 half or be there as subs, that's the best we can do for this event. I'll add your pair there tomorrow, when the registration is officially closed.

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2022, 05:37:16 PM »
THE REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW OFFICIALY CLOSED, WE GOT 5 TEAMS, TY ALL !!

Team name: 7 no trumps
Kenberg+Jeschca1
WackoJack+Veeree

Uof FL Jen+lysblanc
brian_m+Boleo1
soko52+RaNTuL

Team name: OCP Beta
Epee9+Eszter5
Bfortune+sjAldan
p0stm0rtem+iamadeus

Team name: Fruit Machine Swiss
dblqueen+dickhy
bABsG+msphola

Team name: Somewhere Across the Border
Captain: Palych
bluBAYOU+Palych
FleuretteD+RMT2
Toasterln+tislafl

Colin (poco1) and me will now match you against an opposing team, we'll send to our captains the emails of other team captain, together with all other details.
It would be fantastic if all pairs have CC prepared, if you do not know how, please see here:
https://tinyurl.com/2w7562s8

Matches will start promptly at 2000utc, 3pm eastern usa, 9pm Paris.
To players: Please be online, logged in BBO, at least 15 minutes before the matches should start. If anything happens meanwhile that prevents you playing, contact your captain to find a sub.
We will play 2 halfs: First 8 boards, then short break of say 10 mins, then another 8 boards, where the captains can exchange your teammates with another par, if they so wish.
Do not hesitate to ask questions, if you have any.
Everyone else, who is not in a team, please message bbo_iac if you are willing to sub. All members are most welcome to kibitz the teams, and assist to a lesson which will be held on Monday, Feb 28th on Cedar's table, 1900utc, 2pm eastern.

GOOD LUCK IAC !  :)

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2022, 02:38:53 PM »
Regarding the cc and bidding agreements.

Carl Jeschke and I will be playing for the 7NT team. Carl and I live near Baltimore MD, we met about five years ago and, before the pandemic, we played at the Baltimore Bridge Club roughly once a week. Sometimes we did well, sometimes not.

Otherwise put: We have some agreements, but we are not ready for the Bermuda Bowl (or for any much lesser contests). The conventions we play are probably all 40+years old We have a cc and will of course load it. I don't know if we can post it in advance. Here is a rough idea:

1 !S - 2 !C shows a club suit and decent values but it is not game forcing.
1 !S -1NT is about 6-10 hcps and is passable.
An opening of 2 !H or 2 !S iS is a weak 2. 2NT by responder is Ogust, a  new suit response to 2M is passable.
Opening 2 !C is artificial and almost game forcing. Responses are "controls, with A=2,K=1. 2 !C -2D shows at most a K in some one suit, 2 !C - 2 !H shows 2 kings or one ace, etc. After 2 !C - 2 !H we are in a total GF, after 2 !C - 2 !D we are not.
A 2 !D opening is Flannery, exactly five hearts and four spades. The point count is 11-15 but a stiff J in the minors might not be counted as a hcp.
We play strong jump shifts.

That should give you a general idea.  I will try to give more details (well, a few more) later.

If we can somehow post a cc in advance I will do it.

Mostly we play what probably would have been called standard American thirty years ago. Fourth best leads if the suit has a J or better, but second highest from a bunch of spot cards.
1430, Gerber, Puppet Stayman.
Opening 1NT is 15-17 and can have a 5 card major.
1 !C - 1 !D does not deny a four-card major although responder might well skip over a diamond suit with a modest hand and a decent major.

That's it for now. We can all go out for a pint after the game.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 02:42:23 PM by kenberg »
Ken