Author Topic: 1M-2m-2NT-3NT-4NT and related auctions  (Read 2335 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
1M-2m-2NT-3NT-4NT and related auctions
« on: January 01, 2021, 03:46:51 PM »
This comes up from time to time.  If 1M-2m-2nT is passable then it won't come up but I assume 2/1, or at least that 2NT is not [assable. I believe it is not passable even in SaYC but better be sure of that before you try it when SAYCung.

I believe the following is (reasonably) standard: 1M=2m-2NT: The 2NT shows a hand that is either too weak to open 1NT or too strong to open 1NT. So 1M-2m-2NT-3NT-4NT is the 18 or 19 point hand.

An auction from Donna's discussion hands came up yesterday that relates to this. 1 !S - 2 !C: In this case opener has (as I recall) a 5=3=2=3 shape and the three card club holding is something like KQx. Opener does not know the hand belongs in clubs, not yet, but surely it might. I think the right way to handle this is with a 2NT call. Far more often than not, responder's next call will be 3NT. Responder showed his clubs, opener showed that NT is ab option, often responder says "fine by me, 3NT".  Expecting to hear 3NT, opener bids 2NT. His plan with his 18 count, is that over the expected 3NT he will not bid the "usual" 4NT to invite 6NT but rather  bid 4 !C, showing the club fit, bringing 6 !C into play as a possible contract.

The Donna hand was such that responder would, over 2NT, bid 3 !H since his shape is (I recall) 2=5=0=6. No problem, opener now expects shape from partner and bids 4 !C.

No doubt advanced partnerships could have an agreement that 4 !D by responder is now some sort of key card ask, either simply asking for keys or asking for keys not counting !D keys.
But that's a discussion for later. My main point is that after 1 !S - 2 !C I think that 2NT is the natural rebid by opener and then, if responder raises to 3NT, then a 4 !C call would very well describe opener's hand. When responder says 3 !H instead of 3NT they should be fine  even if they have not gotten as far as discussing all of the details after the 4 !C rebid over 3 !H. Most pairs have not discussed that much.
Ken