Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
IAC & Master Solvers Club / 2024 JULY MSC
« Last post by Masse24 on Today at 10:48:42 PM »
JULY 2024 MSC
Deadline: MAY 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JULY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions
  • Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
    In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.

IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

IAC & Master Solvers Club / Re: 2024 JUNE MSC
« Last post by blubayou on Yesterday at 07:39:17 AM »
you hit the  WTF comment  box  pretty well, Todd--thanks!  3 diams on Problem C  is at least as  "out of the box grope"  As the "partner doubles for penalty and  I run away with 3 1/2   quicks, and a suit barely better than what i have shown already"
« Last post by Masse24 on Yesterday at 01:15:13 AM »
I'm bummed that I chose not to shoot for the stars on "C."

Like Joe, I wanted to bid 3 !D as a "waiting-pick a major if you have one" bid. But I was not convinced it would be construed as such.
I still am unsure whether partner's subsequent 3M bid would promise four. Does it? Or does it simply show the suit under control?
« Last post by Masse24 on Yesterday at 01:11:23 AM »
Help!
  I really need a moderator to enlighten us why on problem G,, partner's double is "negative" or whatever the panel is deciding to call it--rather than "for blood.  >:(
My other 2 or 3 fiascos I can live with, but I
have put 'leaving in pard's double'  IN THE BANK on G >:(

Blu, I don't think I would classify it as "negative." Instead, because we have overcalled at the 3-level, clearly we have a good hand. So the double is merely "card showing," allowing us to bid on (as I chose to do), or convert for penalty. I would expect some sort of 4=2=4=3 or 4=1=5=3 or similar---and about 9-10 HCP?
« Last post by blubayou on May 01, 2024, 08:36:20 PM »
Help!
  I really need a moderator to enlighten us why on problem G,, partner's double is "negative" or whatever the panel is deciding to call it--rather than "for blood.  >:(
My other 2 or 3 fiascos I can live with, but I
have put 'leaving in pard's double'  IN THE BANK on G >:(

Too bad there are too few of us to work up a full post-mortem.
(
i do understand, as i attempted one of those a couple years ago but please quote some of these bridge-world guys on this  and I will have learned a new bridge thing in the 21st century...[or not]
« Last post by Masse24 on May 01, 2024, 08:01:04 PM »
Very hard month I think!

Two IAC members made the Bridge World Honor Roll:

Yleexotee with a 710 and CCR3 with 680.
« Last post by ccr3 on April 30, 2024, 11:53:47 PM »

PROBLEM A: Double
PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM C: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM H: Diamond 5
« Last post by wackojack on April 30, 2024, 10:29:03 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Jack Goody
England

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM C: Pass
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 3 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Spade Queen
« Last post by wackojack on April 30, 2024, 10:23:57 PM »
A: 3NT
Tricks are 6 !C + 1 !H + 1 !D and surely a quick spade or K !D

B: 4 !H
Unanimous? Give partner just 6 highs  !S Kxx  !H Kxx and it is a decent game.

C: Pass
Don't punish partner with 3 !S

D: Double
Blood

E: 2NT
I need 6 clubs to respond 3 !C.  Tempted to bid 2 !H and I know how much experts loath 2NT invite, but this time maybe the panel will make this the exception.

F: 3 !C
Who has the  !D s?  Surely opps dont have a 12 card  !D fit?  Even with 11  !Ds that would give partner 4-1-2-6 distribution.  So I will tell partner I have 3 card  !C support.  He will not want to hear about my 6 card  !H suit.

G: pass
 I have 3 or 4 trick outside clubs and partner has doubled for penalties.  So what else?

H Q !S
Looks normal
« Last post by yleexotee on April 30, 2024, 08:05:36 PM »
A - X. I think I have to make it clear I don't have the club hand, so X give p flexibility while saying I was going to bid 3nt. If I pass, partner might think I have the weaker club hand, and they have no way to carry on with confidence.
B - 3h - Which is never an invitation to game hand, so p will know not to carry on. This should be even weaker than X, but we have a 9 card fit so should be safe.
C - 3nt - this is a gamble. I considered 3s, but p will never bid 3nt when they don't have a spade fit, so it might encourage a club raise!? I wish there was a way to bid 3d as a "tell me more" bid, but it looks too much like a club raise.
D - 4C I am not letting E-W make a long suited 3nt vulnerable here, so I am going to bite the bullet and bid 4c
E - 2nt - this seems standard, I must be missing something
F - 3H - only two hearts is selling the hand short, 3h is less than 4th suit forcing, so this describes the hand pretty well.
G - 4D - boy do I hate this bid. p can't be X for penalty right? right? so they must have only 2 hearts or less and the other suits. They are passed hand or I would blast to 5d, but just in case I'm leaving room for them to bid 4h.
H - 5d keeping it simple and leading pards opened suit and giving some count hints so that I am not sent to partnership hell if the diamond lead was the correct one all along.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10