Organised Chaos! > IAC Matters

Why I Want to Be a Member of IAC

(1/13) > >>

sallyally:
In response to Pam's request regarding membership in IAC - First of all let me say that I have thoroughly enjoyed being an IAC member.  My favourite thing to do on BBO is play in tourneys.  Unfortunately the majority of them on IAC are in the daytime and since bridge is recreational for me I preferr to play evenings.  Not only that I like 8 pm eastern but could manage 7 or 9.  What a pain in the neck a member like me can be!
Team games are also high on my list.  Arranging team members is difficult but easier now that there is a set time for games.
My regular partner and I do play in the club one night a week.  This however, is a set game and we normally don't need anyone to spare.  Trying to find a pickup game when there is no guarantee you will find one or if you do that it will last without people going in and out and waiting for someone else to sit is frustrating.
Teaching sessions are something I will try to fit in - if they fit me.  Sorry Oliver, but at this point in my life I don't want to learn precision.  It's struggle enough to try to get 2/1 right.  Weak nt is not on for the partnership I have.  Also daytime teaching is beyond me on a regular basis.
I am not trying to be negative in my comments.  I do hope other members chime in with their thoughts if only to help Pam get a feel for what is happening.  I have met many people through IAC.  In particular the team games foster making friends.  It is my sincere hope that the club will continue.  I am sorry I don't have solutions.  Perhaps an even larger membership would help.

OliverC:
Hi All,

Understand and appreciate your comments. Louise, thanks.

It doesn't matter to me that most of IAC have no interest in Precision. Precision is NOT for everyone. I say myself during the course I run that you really need to have a thorough grounding in any one of the "natural" bidding systems (eg: 2/1, Std American, Acol, SEF, Forum D etc etc etc) before you can hope to tackle precision with any degree of confidence. "Classic" Wei Precision is a fairly natural system, but it is a fundamental shift in bidding philosophy. OCP, which is what I teach, is a million miles away from Std systems like the above or Wei Precision, and it's definitely NOT for the faint-hearted, LOL. That's why I try to tell people in the announcements that I do whether a given teaching session is Precision-specific or one with a more general application.

Curls77:
Very nice to hear your opinion Sally. If more players were interested in USA evening time, I am sure we would be able get a TD to run trnys. If they only would speak up and ask what is their prefference.
Many more also enjoy teams, and for sure soon new series will start.

As for teaching, lesson's subjects and time of sessions are chosen by the teacher, not much we can do but accept their good will give us free lessons at whatever hour is most appropriate for them.

onoway:
Thanks for your post! You and Joy have been faithful supporters since the beginning, and your involvement has been very much appreciated. We might try another evening tourney midweek, but even Dulci's tourney on Sunday evening is struggling, as is the one on Saturday morning.  Both of those were doing well until a few months ago when participation started to drop off, for no obvious reason.

The business of getting tables going in the club is something I wonder if best left until the fall now? Summer is short and people tend to be out and about or so it seems, having hosted tables might well be worth another try, but the question is when.

One thing I should make clear is that we don't expect members to be involved with everything we do..it would be nice but isn't realistic, but if even 90% of the members were involved  even just once a week with SOMETHING... playing in the club or a tourney or going to a class, we would have a phenomenally successful club.  Perhaps we should implement something like that, as a requirement for continuing membership, with allowances made for people who are moving or ill or on holidays or whatever and negotiate that with us.

onoway:
one thing that I do think has had an impact is the changeover. The web version is definitely more complicated to move through, and not being able to see who is kibbing at the table without searching out buttons to click  and refreshing all the time is a problem. I certainly find the web version just much less fun to play on, and wondering if that is true of a number of our longtime membership.  Quite a lot of the time members don't seem to be playing anywhere, just kibbing.

There's nothing more  I can think of  we can do to help with that.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version