Organised Chaos! > IAC Matters

IAC rules

<< < (3/3)

jcreech:
I think there needs to be a middle ground.  For example, I think Rich's 4SF explanation of game forcing is not enough, but tweaked along the lines of "art gf" would suffice.  It gets across that the suit is not being shown and that the bid is game forcing. 

I sometimes find the text box for clarification limiting, so I will sometimes send a secondary message to my opps to clarify.  Since this is a teaching club, that is not really sufficient - I should also send the clarification to the kibs and will try to remember in the future.

kenberg:
I want to know if a bid is natural or artificial. I am easy going about just how strong it might be. So: Pass - 1 !S - 2 !C, if it's Drury, could be explained as "artificial spade raise, game invitational" and 1 !S - 2NT could be explained as "Game forcing spade raise". If they have agreed unequivocally that Pass - 1 !S - 2 !C is on three cards and that 1 !S - 2NT is on 4+ spades then fine, include that.

As for natural bids we should be told if they are or are not forcing assuming there is agreement. Thus 1 !C - 1 !H is forcing but need not be alerted, 1 !C - 1 !H - 1 !S is played as forcing by some and not by others (I play it as non-forcing and I believe that is standard but not everyone agrees.) Often people have not discussed this. The other day we had 1 !C - 1 !S - 2 !C - 2 !H. I intended 2 !H as forcing, a new suit by responder is forcing excpert for some well-defined exceptions, but I had no idea whether partner would treat it as forcing. It was natural and we had no agreement as to whether it was forcing so I did not alert.

I do sometimes alert with an explanation as "intended as ..." . I do this with an artificial bid that I hope will be understood even if it might not be.

I think if people bring in highly artificial systems they have an obligation to clarify what's going on. But with fundamentally natural systems I am satisfied with alerts of the artificial bids and alerts of unusual agreements such as 1M-3M if played as pre-emptive.

If I play against opponents that have been playing together for three years and have a hundred pages of written agreements I might expect more detailed alerts and explanations, but for a game on IAC I am fine with a more relaxed approach: natural or artificial and roughly how strong, meaning weak, invitational or game forcing.

Another way of saying this: treat others as you would like to be treated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version