Author Topic: How to bid to slam?  (Read 2382 times)

veredk

• View Profile
How to bid to slam?
« on: March 09, 2022, 07:46:52 PM »
Opener's hand: !SA97652,  !HK73,  !DT2,  !CA6
Responder's hand:  !SK,  !HAQJT52,  !DA,  !CJT542
The bidding went without interference: 1S - 2H, 2S - 3C, 4H, p,p,p

Thanks, Vered

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: How to bid to slam?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 08:45:29 PM »
!S A97652 
!H K73 
!D T2 
!C A6

!S
!H AQJT52 
!D
!C JT542

The bidding went without interference: 1S - 2H, 2S - 3C, 4H, p,p,pit's a 1 !S call.

Well, it is always easier when we see both hands but let's look at what means what and where were the choices.

1 !S Yep. No extras.

2 !H Yep, with extras. I will assume that 1 !S-2 !H promises five hearts. 1 !S - 2m might not promise five, but most play that 1 !S - 2 !H does.

Now N has a choice. There is something to be said for bidding 3 !H. There is the known 8 card fit, might as well acknowledge it. Imo, fast arrival does not apply here (It hasn't arrived?).  He is just announcing the fit.

So let's assume 1 !S - 2 !H - 3 !H.

S is delighted.

4 !D by S

Now it gets tricky. N has controls. But he is minimal. But he did open the bidding. I think he has done enough.
So 4 !H by N.

S has to estimate his chances. Note that it is hardly obvious that the hand makes 6 !H. There are two spade tricks, six heart tricks, a diamond trick, and a club trick. that's ten tricks.
We need two more. Ruff clubs? Maybe. But maybe the opening lead is a trump and when in with a club the defense leads another trump. Ok, but maybe clubs are 3-3 and one ruff sets them up. Or maybe we should forget clubs and try to set up spades. Well, we have to set them up and we have to get to them. I suppose 6 !H has a decent play but I would not bet the house on it.

So I think 1 !S - 2 !H - 3 !H - 4 !D - 4 !H is a reasonable start. N has shown an opening hand and !H support and said not to expect all that much more. S can choose to go on or not. People need to forgive if the result is either 4 !H making 6 or 6 !H off 1. It's a bit close.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:50:48 PM by kenberg »
Ken

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 01:16:17 AM »
Thanks Ken for answering and rewriting the question in a more readable format.

I looked at Joe's 2/1 standard and 2H response to 1S opening bid promises 4+ cards. If this is the case than opener's rebid of 3H should promise 4 cards.

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 03:39:28 AM »
1 !S - 2 !H absolutely promises five hearts.

My start would differ slightly from Ken's:
1 !S - 2 !H     (2 !H absolutely promises five or more)
3 !H - 3 !S     (3 !H agrees trump --- 3 !S shows a control NOT a second fit. Justin Lall highly recommended this agreement on this exact auction and I agree. Obligatory under 3NT)
3NT - 4 !D      (Non-Serious 3NT. Willing to "cooperate" with a slam try, but not showing big interest. With 3 keycards can you do any less?) (4 !D - control and slam interest)

The rest should happen naturally.
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 01:29:38 PM »
Thanks Ken for answering and rewriting the question in a more readable format.

I looked at Joe's 2/1 standard and 2H response to 1S opening bid promises 4+ cards. If this is the case then opener's rebid of 3H should promise 4 cards.
IAC std has changed a bit, this might be time for a further change. Originally, I believe I recall this correctly, over 1 !S all three 2 level calls below 2 !S implied five cards. That doesn't work, some hands just can't be bid, so Joe got rid of it.  But maybe the baby got thrown out with the bathwater as the saying goes.
As Todd notes, 1 !S - 2 !H shows five. For whom does it show five? I think most everyone. 

Here is what I view as standard: 1 !S - 2 !H sows five, 1 !S - 2C does not show five, and 1 !S - 2 !D shows five for some people but not for others.
Suppose you are 2=4=4=3 with a big hand and partner opens 1 !S. Even if you play that 2NT is available here, that no doubt has a range attached to it and you might be out of that range. So: If 1 !S - 2 !D shows five then 1 !S - 2 !C can be on 3.
Actually 1 !S - 2 !C can probably be on 3 even if 1 !S - 2 !D can be made on 4 cards. Suppose you are 3=4=3=3. Usually 1 !S -2NT is not only a forcing raise in spades but also shows four spades (some allow a strong 3 card spade holding with shortness somewhere).

Without discussion then what? I would take 1 !S - 2H to definitely show 5, 1 !s - 2 !D to show 4, 1 !S - 2 !C to hopefully be on 4.

As to Todd's further auction, it sounds good with an obvious caveat. If 1 !S - 2 !H has not been discussed then it is safe to say that serious versus non-serious NT has not been discussed.

The auction I gave is one I would play with my clone (someone who thinks roughly like I do) if I had not, however, discussed much with my clone.

As to play, setting up clubs is to risky so we go after spades. Say we get a !d lead. Cash the !S K and then !H A and small !H to the K.
 If everyone follows that's great since the !h 7 is another entry. But if !H are not 2-2 then we ruff a small !S in hand, draw the rest of the trump, and go back to the board with a !C and hope the !S are 3-3.
That seems right. So we should be making this if !H are 2-2 or, when !H are not 2-2,  if !S are 3-3. A reasonable slam, probably 65% or so,  not a great slam.
Of course with the auction I present, S does not know about the sixth spade during the auction.

What we have here: N has six spades and S has the !S K so we can, looking at both hands, reasonably hope to establish long spades. That's hard to get through the auction. And it might not come in.

My bidding, even with my clone, is not good enough to get to slam with confidence. Do I get there at all? Maybe. Depends on how optimistic I am.

Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 03:07:35 PM »
Just for fun I decided to look at the odds a little more closely.

The probability of a 2-2 split in hearts is 40%.
The probability of a 3-3 split in spades is 36%.

So the probability of hearts not splitting 2-2 is 60% and the probability of spades not splitting 3-3 is 64%. If we assume they are independent events (they aren't but more or less they are) then the probability of hearts not being 2-2 and spades not being 3-3 (and hence failure) is 0.60 times 0.64 which is 0.382 making the probability of success about 62%. Actually it's a bit worse since a 5-1 split, or a 6-0 split, in spades will doom us even if hearts are 2-2. Working that in seems to bring the probability of success down below 60%. So it is not awful to miss this slam. Except when it's on.
Ken

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 07:47:07 PM »
I try to drop into  these forum threads--and so I have.   It seems that the comentators  have touched all the bases pretty well, though -- sigh:)
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

veredk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 03:51:31 AM »
Thank you Ken and Todd for the discussion. and Blu for good intensions  :)