Author Topic: Good luck, bad call, and a question  (Read 2879 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Good luck, bad call, and a question
« on: July 05, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »
imps, nobody vul, partner deals and opens 1 !C .
I hold

!S 643
!H AQ96
!D 9
!C AK652
Pass on my  right, 1 !H by me,  3 !D on my left, two passes to me

1 !C  P 1 !H 3 !D
 P     P   ?

I bid 4 !C. I see no reason why this should be forcing, and given that it isn't I think it is a really bad call.  Here is partner's hand:

!S AQJ8
!H K62
!D 42
!C QT87

She has an opening 1 !C call and she opened 1 !C. Nothing extra. And two small diamonds. She passed, which makes sense to me. If the spade finesse is working, unlikely but possible after the 3 !D preempt, we make 6. The spade finesse fails, but 5 !C is on ice. I'm the one with the stiff !D and so I am the one who needs to get us to 5 !C .

If I had the weak doublton in diamonds I think my 4 !C would be reasonable, and then if she had the stiff !D a raise to 5 !C would be easy. I think with my good values and the stiff in their suit, well place  so that partner need not worry about over ruffs if it comes to that, I should just bite the bullet and bid 5 !C .

Ok, where does the luck come in? After partner' pass, RHO bid 4 !D, I hit it, it went for 500. Somebody up there likes me.

On to the question

Now should 4 !C be non-forcing? I think so.   Suppose I have a hand such as

!S 643
!H AQ962
!D 9
!C AK65

On this hand we maybe belong in 4 !H and we maybe belong in 5 !C. If 4 !C were forcing I could use it to explore which is the right contract. But I don't think that is needed. Trump has not been set so I think 4 !D should be  a game forcing bid, asking for help in choosing the correct suit. With her three hearts, she would have no trouble selecting hearts.

I can'r say that I am certain that everyone would take a 4 !D call that way, but it seems to make sense.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:32:14 PM by kenberg »
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Re: Good luck, bad call, and a question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
4 !C utterly non-forcing, IMHO. I think I would be bidding 4 !D . If Partner bids 4 !H , it's clear they only have 3-card support and I correct to 5 !C . That also implies my lack of control of Spades and shows very close to what I actually have.

Your alternate hand I bid exactly the same way. The only difference is that now I pass 4 !H :) . Partner's pass over 3 !D has persuaded me that game is the limit.
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »
It's worth discussing, something I hope these forums (fora?) could bring about. I think 4 !D follows by a pull of 4 !H to 5 !C might have partner wondering what is going on. Maybe I have five hearts and now that I have learned of partner's three card support my 5 !C is a slam try in hearts? Or maybe partner will construe this as s\setting !C as trump and showing the stiff !D and thus as a slam try in !C . That's what I have so if my bidding is understood all will be well.

At any rate, I should decide, looking at my hand, that 5 !C should have a reasonable play and one way or anther I should get us there. At least if undiscussed I like the simple approach of just bidding 5 !C.  But  4 !D and then 5 !C certainly has its appeal.

Not getting us to 5 !C was my error, pure and simple. Given that, exactly the right route is up for discussion. I was not really thinking my 4 !C was forcing, I was just being pessimistic. Way too pessimistic.

I think separating errors (not forcing us to 5 !C ) from agreements (how to get us to 5 !C ) is important but often this is fudged.
Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
I've no problem with your bidding 5 !C rather than 4 !D. It's very unlikely there's a biddable slam on here given partner's pass over 3 !D (You might make 12 tricks, but that's not the same thing), and that also makes it a racing certainty they don't have 4-card Heart support, so really 5 !C and 4 !D are effectively the same thing. The point I was really making was that 4 !C (and 5 !C) are utterly non-forcing and that the only forcing bid you have available here is 4 !D
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 01:04:46 PM »
There is a problem I encounter online but also, less frequently, f2f and for that matter I sometime observe on vugraph.: People double and people cuebid, but the intended message does come through. It could be interesting to have examples, and possibly some clarity would emerge.

I believe I have never discussed with any partner exactly what a 4 !D call would mean, had I made it. But now I shift to partner's seat and I suppose that he made it. If I am holding three hearts, my call would be easy, 4 !H. If I am not holding three hearts?  It would be nice if I then could say to myself: "Why did pard make this undiscussed cue? He must have hearts and clubs and be uncertain which strain we should play in. Lacking three hearts, I choose clubs."  That's probably what I would think, or so it seems right now, but this is the sort of clarity that I am thinking could emerge.  There is also the question of what it would mean had it gone 3 !D -P- P-X , where the 3 !D was over my first round 1 !H. it does not sound right for it to be penalties, maybe !C and !S ?

All of this does not preclude using 4 !D and then a pull of 4 !H to 5 !C as cancelling the message of asking for a choice of suits and replacing it by a message of a slam try in clubs.

As mentioned, the message intended is not always the message received. It happens even in vugrah events, but of course far more often in casual play.
Ken