Author Topic: Your bid after partner doubles a pre-empt and it is raised  (Read 1660 times)

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Your bid after partner doubles a pre-empt and it is raised
« on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:40 PM »
This came up in a team league  match yesterday. I was criticised for underbidding

Your hand at Game all:
 !S 10
 !H K9632
 !D K105432
 !C Q

LHO opens 3 !S
Partner doubles
RHO bids 4 !S

I passed which I now think was wrong.
I think partner is likely to have 2 aces.  Then what a is min take-out double with 2 aces?  Something like this:
 !S xx
 !H AJxx
 !D Axx
 !C KJxx
Partner needs to have about this strength of hand to make a take-out double of 3 !S.  And we see that 5 !H is a very reasonable contract.

In fact partner had
 !S 8
 !H AJ1075
 !D A6
 !C AK1096
So 6  !H is an excellent contract.

The actual bidding went:  3 !S - (x) - 4 !S- (p); p-(x) -p- 5 !H; all pass

Non leaping Michaels would have worked well on this hand.  The bidding I think would have gone 3 !S - (4 !C) -4 !S- (5 !H); p - (6 !H) all pass 

The opps only got to 5 !H at the other table but I was criticised for underbidding.

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Your bid after partner doubles a pre-empt and it is raised
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 05:43:33 PM »
Agree Non-Leaping Mike gets you to slam. I do not see getting there without it.

On your auction without it, I'm not sure about 5 !H over 4 !S. Maybe 4NT (two suits)? 
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:57:48 PM »
After (3S)-X-(4S) I would like a bid of 5m to show length in m and enough values to make 5m a reasonable contract.  Not hard to think of hands where that agreement would be useful.  So it makes sense for 4NT to be any two-suited hand.
With a decent 6-5 and two stiffs, opposite a TO double of 3S,  then 4NT, two-suited, will certainly get us to a reasonable contract. Will it get us to 6H? Perhaps. I bid 4NT. pard bids 5C, I bid 5D, then we will play this in however many hearts pard bids.  Probably that will be 6. I suppose pard has to worry that if I am 1=5=6=1 I might well bid 4NT holding D: QTxxxx instead of KTxxxx. But he has a good hand and so he goes for it. Probably.
Ken

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
While I see non-leaping Michaels as being the best route to find the slam, you have to live with the choices your partner makes ahead of you.

Given that partner made a takeout double and you have two potential places to play.  I think 5 !H, albeit almost certainly safe, does not give the full playing-strength of the hand, while retaining a modicum of safety if partner overbid.  A direct bid of 4NT is called for to show two suits; pulling clubs to hearts, and probably raising either red suit to slam.  I feel like the pull of 5 !C to hearts shows a mild red suit try, while if partner does not show clubs over 4NT, then we have the double red-suit fit, and I am willing to try the slam now.

A delayed 4NT (waiting for the reopening double) just seems weird.  If it were natural, why not pass the second double?  I think the best interpretation is a balanced no clear-choice sort of hand, throwing the decision back to partner.
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

blubayou

• IACAdmins
  • lifelong director [1977-2010] and haunter of ACBL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 10:50:32 PM »
This  showed up at the latest W-Workout , and am I mistaken that "we"  duplicated  Jack's auction?
I thought 2nd had was worth an old-fashioned Michaels,  but was having a brain cloud and spoke about overcalling 4NT  (yes-two places to play)  not realizing that 4!S was available.   Perhaps it is also a brain cloud to think that pushing directly to the 5-level  is warranted.  but after all  in the event he did do that.
often it is better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 10:56:56 AM »
I can certainly see the merit in bidding 4NT to show a 2 suiter.

Jim's idea was interesting.  As I understand it:
3 !H - (x) -4 !H -(4NT)
p - (5 !C) - p - (?)

A bid of 5 !D shows a minimum free bid of 4NT that could show a !D !H 2 suiter.   
A bid of 5 !H shows a slam interest  !D !H 2 suiter (5 !H does not necessarily mean 6 !H +5 !D).

In that context what is my hand worth?  OK too strong to pass over 4 !S and therefore I bid 4NT to show the 2 suiter.  And not strong enough to bid 5 !H over partner's next bid of 5 !C so bid 5 !D?  It would then be up to partner to assess whether or not to try 6 !H or sign off in 5 !H.

Sorry Blu I cannot reliably recall now the details of the auction at the W-Workout.