Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
IAC & Master Solvers Club / Re: 2024 APRIL MSC
« Last post by jcreech on March 01, 2024, 11:25:36 AM »
I will try to add something for my answers soon.

SOLUTIONS FOR:
James Creech

Fredericksburg VA 22407
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM B: Double
PROBLEM C: Double
PROBLEM D: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 3 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 4 Notrump
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Diamond 4
« Last post by Masse24 on March 01, 2024, 04:35:35 AM »

F: 6NT
Give partner a min opener ♠AQxxx, ♥Axxx, ♦xx, ♣ Jx  and we have 12 tricks in clubs or no trumps. I trust that 3♠ is forcing but I want to either play in no trumps or clubs to protect my K♦.  So 3♠ gets me nowhere.  I am not selling out with 3NT.  We could just about be missing 2 aces partner having ♠AQJxx, ♥QJxx, ♦Qx, ♣xx so I cannot blast 6NT. 
Is there a way out?  If I bid 4NT, that would (I assume ) be keycard in ♥s so that is out. 
What about 4♣?  I don’t think that will get me anywhere.  In principle I will bid what I would bid at the table and not what I think the panel will bid.  So 6NT it is.

Not so sure about 4NT being RKC for hearts. Though I do agree the game-force has been established. 3 !C should do that. To play it as only a one-round force would be strange.
If we wanted to agree spades we had a cuebid available in the previous round.
To agree hearts now we have 4 !D.
So 4NT is, I think, quantitative with no fit.

Which is probably what I should have chosen. But I chickened out and went low with 3NT due to the lack of a fit.
« Last post by ccr3 on March 01, 2024, 02:20:42 AM »
Your Solutions for the April 2024 Contest 
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM F: 4 Diamonds
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Spade Jack
« Last post by blubayou on February 29, 2024, 11:13:57 PM »
.CONFIRMATION#24047156MCQU[]
[SOLUTIONS FOR:Jock McQuade 3 Bag End Hobbiton OR 97030 U.S.A

PROBLEM B: 5 Hearts
]PROBLEM D: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 6 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump

Thank you for participating in the 11th hour!
« Last post by wackojack on February 29, 2024, 10:52:58 PM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
jack Goody
England

PROBLEM C: 5 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 6 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack
« Last post by wackojack on February 29, 2024, 06:13:02 PM »
A:  3 !D
Partner could have something like ♠Jx, ♥ Ax, ♦AKxx, ♣AKxxxx where we want to be in 5♦.  Or partner could have 18+ with just long clubs.  Partner must have a doubleton ♠ simply because if opps had a 9 card fit they surely would have raised spades.  Could it be ♠Jx or a low doubleton?  I think 3♦ would cover all bases. Maybe partner would next bid 3♠ with ♠Jx looking for 3NT, or raise diamonds with ♦AKxx, or just repeat clubs with just long clubs. 

B: 5NT
2 places to play. The only bid that gets anywhere near describing my hand.

C:
Double
We have a good chance of making 3+ tricks here.

D: 1 !D
A 1♦ overcall should be on 5 good diamonds and an opening bid.  So I go for 3N.

E: 3 !H
This is a gamble on partner having 5 hearts or at least J10xx

F: 6NT
Give partner a min opener ♠AQxxx, ♥Axxx, ♦xx, ♣ Jx  and we have 12 tricks in clubs or no trumps. I trust that 3♠ is forcing but I want to either play in no trumps or clubs to protect my K♦.  So 3♠ gets me nowhere.  I am not selling out with 3NT.  We could just about be missing 2 aces partner having ♠AQJxx, ♥QJxx, ♦Qx, ♣xx so I cannot blast 6NT. 
Is there a way out?  If I bid 4NT, that would (I assume ) be keycard in ♥s so that is out. 
What about 4♣?  I don’t think that will get me anywhere.  In principle I will bid what I would bid at the table and not what I think the panel will bid.  So 6NT it is.

G: Double
Awkward if partner has say ♠xx, ♥KQx, ♦AKxx, xxxx.  Say you double.  Partner would likely bid 2♣ and then you would have to correct to 2♥ non forcing.  Lots could go wrong but double is the least of evils.

H:  J !H
WTP?   

« Last post by Masse24 on February 29, 2024, 12:54:11 PM »
These answers are for Joe. For some reason, he cannot access the IAC.

Answers for YLEEXOTEE:

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart Jack
« Last post by Masse24 on February 29, 2024, 01:47:03 AM »
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
U.S.A.

Although 3NT looks attractive, it can wait. I want to show my diamonds and, if partner trots out 3S next, I’ll bid 3NT. Presumably showing my somewhat dubious “stopper.”

PROBLEM B: 5 Clubs
They took away my two-suited 4NT. And 4 !C is majors. So 5 !C must be some sort of freak two-suited strong hand. Although this may not garner a lot of panel votes, it will not be dismissed completely. It also has the advantage of keeping alive 5 !D, something 5 !H does not.

This seems like a no-brainer?

OOPS! Need to be more careful. I meant to choose 3 !D. These accidents never work out for me. I've done it three times. Hopefully, this one does.
[Added] This one won't hurt me too much (I hope) since 3NT is a viable bid and will score okay.

This is the latest iteration of The Bridge World Death Hand. Strong hand. Six of my minor. Good three-card support for partner's major.
KnR gives this a 16.45 (the HCP were downgraded), so this is right on values. It simply lacks a fourth heart. My other choice eventually dismissed was an admittedly off-shape 2NT. If anyone is bidding notrump, it should be me with the stiff honor.

PROBLEM F: 3 Notrump
Very much a chicken bid. The other choice for me would be 4NT, which could be safe. It at least invites slam. This--3NT--will put an end to the auction.

Unanimous?

Due to the long club suit, time is of the essence. Though a heart lead is safest, the diamonds rate to set up faster than hearts.

« Last post by DickHy on February 25, 2024, 07:31:48 PM »
More embarrassing grist for your mills from over the pond:

A.  3N.  Presumably N has 6(+) clubs and according to BWS VI. A. (“The normal simple overcall maximum is 18 HCP with 5-3-3-2 distribution or the equivalent after trading off high cards for shape”) should have 19+ HCP.  If that’s true, 3N looks good unless W opened with 12 HCP and E has Kx(x) in spades and out.  Would E have raised spades with that over a x? We’re vulnerable at IMPs with the power hand over the opener, so my granny would expect me to bid 3N.

B.  x.  A little like A with the seats reversed.  Over N’s spade bid I can bid hearts (5 !H over 4 !S, if necessary).  N might surprise me with 3 !D.  One problem is if N passes the x, which is possible at this vulnerability (I guess). What will N do with xxx xxx xxx KQxx if W (with 7 or 8 spades) is silent over the x?  Actually, if W bids 3 !S over the x that will help me.

C.  Pass.  BWS II (forcing v non-forcing) seems to suggest that my pre-emptive 4 !S makes N’s pass of 5 !H non-forcing.   Same section (lead-directing doubles) “b) no special lead is suggested by a double: … (2) when some combination of dummy's suit, leader's suit, and doubler's suit is available.”  If I double, I will make partner squirm: that's far too impolite.

D.  Pass.  Pass and defend 3 !C or bid 3 !D?  East looks likely to have 6 clubs and 6 HCP.  Roughly a 20/20 HCP hand, suggesting N has AKxxx in diamonds and a J or AQxxx and a Q with a singleton club in both cases.  We’re getting 2 diamond tricks, a heart, my club A, and prospects for a fifth (the club K could be right, partner’s Q is in hearts, or J in spades).  With that kind of layout in 3 !D, we get 4 diamonds, 2 hearts, only one club (am I really going to try a finesse with a singleton club in N?) and a spade if opponents lead them for us … ?  Pass and defending looks better.

E.  2 !H.  How valuable are my diamonds and the singleton club K?  The latter might deter a club lead at Trick 1, but only then.  Can I get diamonds going and still have an entry or be able to pull trumps?  All looks very doubtful at the moment, but partner has lots of options over 2 !H – game tries, 2N, pass – which will clarify matters.  Let’s give N the chance.

F.  4 !D/6N.  This feels like a NT slam.  With our power E must surely have the diamond A for a vulnerable overcall, so a direct 6N looks feasible. A bit ‘blunt instrument’ for the pros?  What if N is very shapely (65/66 with a diamond void) or E overcalled with seven diamonds with QJ?  Maybe 4 !D is best just now to give N a chance for another descriptive bid.  It’s not quite clear from BWS II what 4N would mean, but even if it is ace-asking, how helpful is N's response when holding 65 or 66 in the majors with a diamond void?

G.  1N/x.  We’ve not heard from W, so N could have a common-or-garden opening hand in which case we don’t really want to be playing in 2N.  That’s where we’re likely to be after a negative x is followed by 2 !D or 2 !C, unless I then bid 2 !H (and then I’ll find only two small hearts in support - yuck).  Over 1N partner has opportunities if he has a bigger opening hand.  1N could lead us to missing a vulnerable game in hearts at IMPs.  Perhaps I’m too pessimistic?  The pros with their better luck will double, find N with a 4-card heart suit and laugh all the way to the bank in some number of hearts.

H.  Diamond 4.  Am I crazy suggesting a low diamond and hoping E started with AJx?  N has the missing club honour, so he’ll get in at some point to lead a diamonds across E.  Either J seems too slow – we’re supposed to be aiming for fast tricks here, are we not?           
« Last post by blubayou on February 04, 2024, 12:08:04 AM »
Eight quick and wild views:

A:  get in with my spade or his diamond ..then run 6 clubs + a,k of hearts.  --3NT--
Problem A:>> There are tonnes of legitimate double-and bid-in-clubs hands that don't run that suit facing a singleton--or show up with a 2nd spade stopper.  So, discretion may be the better part of valor.  On a really bad day, pard's 3C may not even com in---on a REALLY bad day it might go down while 3NT DOES come in (xx, AQ, AKx, AJxxxx)?
   Anyway  I am  switching to the cowardly pass           ---Pass---

B:  part 1--bid 5H; part 2-- complain to the system-builders about that 4NT NOT being "red suits"(Unusual NT)!
Problem B:>>   what I wrote above still stands --every word in it.     ---Five Hearts---

C:  Lightner at the 5-level?? -- of COURSE!       --Double--
Problem C:>> " Jxxx, Axx, --, Qxxxxx" is a pretty bizarre four-raise, and certainly going to 5 !Snow is ridiculous whatever our reasoning may be. So that leaves no options except "Pass" and "Double".  I don't get this problem frankly; maybe partner thinks his pass is forcing and is about to unleash a "pass-and-pull" after this double?  Now THERE's a juicy problem IF it happened, and IF forcing pass is agreed which I doubt.
                                      ---Double---
D: 3NT; sometimes it goes down no worse than 3 !D  does.      --3NT--h
Problem D:>>  Qxx, AT8x, 9xx, AQx...Expecting good play for 3NT opposite a measly 1D overcall is almost fantastical.  The only reason I talked myself into bidding 3NT earlier is that giving a comp 3-level raise with 12 GUNS instead is so undignified.  Better than 3NT would be to make a responsive double in case pard can bid hearts (and HOPE he is showing four of them?).  Despite my good hand, I keep seeing layouts where neither side can even make 3 of a minor :o .
                                    ---Three Diamonds---

E:  two spades shows 2 or 3 good spades and at least jump-rebid values. next rebid of 3 !H then shows "this hand".   God has spoken / we have had more   than enough of "Bridge World Horror Hand Number Two" to quit insisting this "jump-shift" is entirely natural!!                                                   --Two Spades--
PROBLEM E:>>  The MSC always gives me about a "20" for the jump-shift equals just a reverse" treatment mentioned above, so to try for a better score, we're settling for the immediate jump-raise :'( .
                                      ---Three Hearts---
   P.S.  votes will be all over the place, like "1 !S ", "2 !H ", ""3 !D ""[gaag], and "FOUR  !H "

F:  I will probably STAY with this choice even after UPS delivers my meds--seriously.  --6NT--
PROBLEM F:>>  Yes  i am staying with the NT slam idea.  IF the clubs do not run, then possibly partner will come through with
                                    AQJxx, AQxx, xx, xx, which is 8 top tricks to go with my four.  [Kx, Kx, Kxx, AKQxxx
p.s.  "Real men don't need blackwood on responding hands like this!"

G:  A negative double commits me to a 2 !H rebid, doesn't it?  a free 1NT doesn't commit me to any.  --1NT--
Problem G:>>  I don't mind "lurking" when sitting over an opp's overcall--and that would be my second choice, but this time, we stay witn the
                                                      ---1 Notrump---

H:  After being unable to decide what is my "longest and strongest" red suit I have decided to just hit partner instead! -- !S J--

Hopefully, no more that 3 of these will make the final cut...but hwho knows :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10