Author Topic: yet another, lets bid this :)  (Read 2728 times)

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
yet another, lets bid this :)
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:07:11 PM »
Watching IAC Teams today (again), interesting hand popped up and kibs went wonder what is best line. Mind that at one table was OCP pair, but if 2/1, should N open red aga white having 5/5? and how proceed?
http://tinyurl.com/y2svnkct (OCP)
http://tinyurl.com/y427urya

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: yet another, lets bid this :)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:35:53 AM »
If the !C Q were red, I would have no problems opening on any vulnerability.  Red on white, I would tend to open based more on the state of the match and/or my opponents and/or my partner.

I would be more likely to open if I rated (or barometer scoring, actually) to be down in the scoring, or my opponents are stronger than my teammates, or my partner is weak or at least weaker than the counterpart at the other table.  In other words, I consider this to be a marginal opener, and would open in a match only if I felt like we needed some action or to overcome some underbidding.

If I were to open, I would expect the auction to go 1 !H - 1 !S; 2 !D - 3 !C (4th suit forcing); 3 !D - 3 !H (establishing trump); 4 !H (no interest beyond game) - P (probably not quite good enough if partner won't cooperate).
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 01:07:13 AM »
I might or might not open the N hand in first seat, probably not. If I am going to apply five-vive some alive, or the Rule of 20, or just instnct, I agree with Jim that I want the !C Q to instead be a red Q.

Assuming that I do not open it, the uncontested  auction goes Pass - 1 !S - 2 !H - 4 !H.  After the initial N Pass, the 2 !H is not game forcing (how could it be?) and not 100% forcing as I play. But S has no trouble raising to 4 !H.

If N does open 1 !H probably it will still go well. After 1 !H - 1 !S - 2 !D  then S is not really all that excited and might well settle for 4 !H. If instead he opts for a FSF call of 3 !C over 2 !D, not unreasonable, then N rebids 3 !D and S bids 4 !H.

I suppose that 3NT is not the worst contract in the world but 4 !H certainly looks like the natural resting spot. It should be easy to reach after an initial Pass by N.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:12:22 AM by kenberg »
Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »
ty both :)