Author Topic: Help me bid this hand pls :)  (Read 8002 times)

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Help me bid this hand pls :)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »
lol Ken. 

Not long ago I manufactured a jump shift into a doubleton AK void (http://tinyurl.com/y6euhedj) to try to get a better idea where the hand belonged.  It was against Joe and Ellen, and they were not happy that I did that, but sometimes it is hard to come up with forcing bids, and there is some reason why 2 !C was not an appropriate starting point.

As a general practice, I hate manufactured forcing bids.  Mentally, I return to the time partner manufactured a reverse into my six card suit and was not happy because he was trying to carefully trying to probe for slam in his first suit.  To describe my bid to our teammates, he said "I reversed into diamonds, and then I lost control of the auction."

Note:  I went back to see the hand again, and found that my memory of my jump shift was better than the reality.  It is rare that I would think to show strength in a void, but I really was not sure where this hand was going, but I absolutely wanted to force partner to bid.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:59:57 PM by jcreech »
A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »
I have thought a little about these manufactured reverses. It's a lot easier when you have clubs and manufacture a reverse into diamonds. Often that will because, similarly to the diamond situation in this posted hand, a jump rebid n the suit doesn't do it justice.  It could be that after the reverse, opener's next bid should be 4m. This could say:"Just kidding with the previous bid".

Once you reverse into a major, 1 !D - 1 !S - 2 !H, it can be really tough to convince partner you do not have hearts. Some hands are just tough.

It could be useful to have a thread devoted to various sequences that mean one thing to one person and something very different to another. I started bridge long ago by learning rubber bridge by reading Goren.  2 !H was a strong opening bid with hearts. Whatever the merits  of it, everyone (meaning every casual player, as I was) played it the same way. Long ago!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:02:57 PM by kenberg »
Ken

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »
Not long ago I manufactured a jump shift into a doubleton AK void (http://tinyurl.com/y6euhedj) to try to get a better idea where the hand belonged.  It was against Joe and Ellen, and they were not happy that I did that, but sometimes it is hard to come up with forcing bids, and there is some reason why 2 !C was not an appropriate starting point.

wow Jim :) impressive!
No need say, not only I would never dare do it, but it'd never cross my mind. Occasionally I lie about jump shift into something like Axx; and feel guilty for next 3 weeks hahha

Curls77

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
It could be useful to have a thread devoted to various sequences that mean one thing to one person and something very different to another.
Very good idea Ken :) Pls start such topic and we'll have it pinned.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 02:04:37 AM »
I might just do that. Your companion post on "yet another//" had an interesting feature: Uncontested auction Pass-1 !S -2 !H. What's it? A decent hand with five hearts. There might not be a lot of disagreement there. But i had a hand with the bots the other day. Uncontested Auction:  1 !S - 3 !H. What's it? The bots play this as a six (or more) card suit with invitational values. Interestingly, so does Bridge World Standard. Here I would hesitate to use this with a partner that I have not discussed it with.

I'm sure many folks have examples. I'll see if I can get a starter set.
Ken