University of IAC > IAC Teaching Sessions

Made it but

(1/2) > >>

kenberg:
Hi,

In Jack's session yesterday I was dealt xx / AQTxx / x / Axxxx.
I'm not big on the rule of n, whatever the number n is for whatever the situation, but all the points are in my two suits and I do have the !H T, or at least I think I did (I  did not save the hands).

So, rightly or wrongly, I opened 1 !H:

1 !H - Pass - 1 !S - 2 !D
Pass - Pass - 3 !D - Pass
?

I bid 3 !H but commented later that I think that this was a mistake. It's true that I barely had an opener and considered passing, but I have already  passed over 2 !D and now partner wants to hear more from me. By passing 2 !D I have denied holding three spades, so I think I  should now  just bite the bullet and bid 3 !S.  We can argue about whether I should have opened the hand but I did open it and my hand has not gotten worse. In fact, with the stiff !D, it has gotten a little better. I have two spades, partner has asked for a further description, I think that I should just bid 3 !S.

Neither 4 !S nor 4 !H should make, but I think 4 !S has a better chance.

Note: It seems to me that hands from the lesson sessions are often worthy of further discussion, but that does not much happen. Your thoughts?

Masse24:
I completely agree, Ken. I mentioned it at the time. Since you've already denied holding three-card support, a subsequent spade bid by you should show exactly two cards and no better bid.

Also, it is my belief that your partner's 3 !D rebid is a game-force, which is something I brought up. A couple of people disagreed, stating it was merely invitational. But (in my opinion) that was because responder held a barely invitational hand--not due to what the bid should mean. There was no further discussion. Obviously, I disagree with the 3 !D bid. Better would have been a spade rebid. As I recall, your partner had six?

Oh . . . I, too, would open.  8)

kenberg:
Partner has a 6=3=3=1 shape. The diamond holding was Kxx and I think after the 2 !D overcall to the left, thatK could be of lesser value.
I think 3 !H to re-open after 2 !D-Pass-Pass would be good. That should be passable with three card heart support (with four card heart support there would be no reason to bid 1 !S on the first round). I would pass 3 !h, but if I had a better hand I could, but probably wouldn't) accept the game invitation by bidding 3 !S to offer a choice of games.

If that !D K were the !D A, the chances for making game are still not great but definitely better.

There was also the interesting question: Against 4 !H what !D should be led from T8x? The T has the advantage that when Kxx hits the board, and declarer plays low, third hand, with AQJxxx can duck so my Lho can continue another !D. If the 8 is led, as some do, third hand has to worry it is from 8x, meaning I have Tx,  and so he must play the J. And if the x hand been the opening lead then  I cover it from the board forcing my Rho to take the trick. It would, this time,  be best for third hand  to allow the T to hold. But Rho was, I assume, worried that the T might be a stiff (as it could have been) and so, thinking that it was either stiff or doubleton (so then I would have two) decided to overtake, cash the A and lead a third !D. But I was the one with the stiff so I ruffed the A and now the K on the board is good.

It's a bit of a tricky situation.

jcreech:
I would open as well - 5-5 with 2 1/2 QT all in the two suits.  I would almost never pass with that holding, and the rare times I would pass, I would be playing a forcing pass system (so not in the US).

I also agree that 3S is the correct call.  You don't have anything extra to say about your hearts, but you do have the undisclosed doubleton in spades.  Having not made a support double, this perfectly describes your spade holding.  It also has the added benefit of not going past 3NT, in case that is where partner was headed.

blubayou:
[quote author=kenberg

Neither 4 !S nor 4 !H should make, but I think 4 !S has a better chance.

Note: It seems to me that hands from the lesson sessions are often worthy of further discussion, but that does not much happen. Your thoughts?

Wacko's selections are usually joyously full of choices rather than "right answers"--that's why we love them.  But this explains why shy folk are even more reticent than usual to speak up, I suppose.   Even not-reticent moi  sits on his hands a lot since the key decisions seem to be toss-up, and I prefer to weigh in weigh in when I see a clear "right bid But don't change, Jack we love your rich food for thought  examples!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version