Chew the Fat! > IAC & Master Solvers Club

2024 FEBRUARY MSC

<< < (2/3) > >>

Masse24:

--- Quote from: blubayou on December 27, 2023, 04:46:13 PM ---
Problem H:>>  Hang on to your seat, folks!  Opener MUST HAVE 8 running spades (even all nine of them)  and the other 4 or 5  are all aces and king(s).  Hence,  he has the SINGLETON diamond ace.   Leading either QJ10  is liable to let him excape for down one, but underleading the diamond king will at least build us a 2nd setting trick, and may put him down five, if partner has !D Q9xxx.
                                     ---Diamond Jack---[/font]

--- End quote ---

I agree, Blu. Diamond Jack.
But I see a different construction. Ten hearts to the !H AKxxxxxxxx And a bevy of stiff aces!  ;)
No lead can give this away. We have them set. But the !D J keeps partner's Q in his hand, and when I get in with the !H Q we are off to the races.
I hope.

blubayou:
what happened to my early  problem  A, B, C  guesses??  Well there wasnt much juicy insights in those  ...or any other until the "ahahh!" that finally gelled  for the lead problem :)

jcreech:
Don't know,  but it wasn't me.  I may have partially disagreed, but would have respected your right to be wrong-headed.

blubayou:
SOLUTIONS FOR: Jock McQuade3 Bag End, Hobbiton OR
.A.PROBLEM A: Pass   ALL my meagre extras are in the WRONG PLACES. wouldn't even redouble if six gets smacked
PROBLEM B: Double  improper doubles are part of the unavoidable misery of balancing auctions
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades THE CUE-INVITE ALTERNATIVE either leads to the same 2 !S  spot, or starts us spiraling down some rabbit-hole.
PROBLEM D: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 4 Clubs --  If the single raise on problem C doesnt get me a zero,  maybe this four club bid will, but I         definitely have chickened out of my earlier 3NT choice
PROBLEM H: Diamond Jack

Masse24:
SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: Pass
PROBLEM B: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 2 Hearts
PROBLEM D: Pass
PROBLEM E: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM G: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Diamond Jack