Author Topic: I'm not greedy but...  (Read 2744 times)

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
I'm not greedy but...
« on: July 24, 2017, 10:06:58 AM »
This was quite an interesting hand from a play viewpoint. You are in the wonderful contract of 1NT having opened a 10-12 1NT  at Green vs Red.

Dummy
!S 9762
!H 632
!D KQ75
!C 106

You
!S K5
!H K108
!D J84
!C KJ972

Your prospects for making this are zero, but your chances of making at least a few tricks improve significantly when the opening lead is a small Club to RHO's Ace, and they improve dramatically when RHO returns the Club Queen. How do you play? If you cash the rest of your Club tricks that's probably all you make, but you've got a decent enough result and you're probably up 6 IMPs, because 3NT is cold their way.

My partner Brian Meadows is not one to give up too easily, however, and at trick 3 he led the Jack of Diamonds. RHO won the Ace and returned another Club. Now we're up to 6 tricks. You run all of the Clubs and cross to Dummy with a Diamond. The situation is now:

Dummy
!S 976
!H 6
!D Q7
!C -

You
!S K5
!H K108
!D 4
!C -

You have made 5 tricks and the Queen of Diamonds will be 6. How do you play now? At this stage Brian played a Heart to the King and when the dust settled he had made one more trick. Making 6 tricks in 1NT was worth nearly 8 IMPs, but I feel Brian fell at the last hurdle here. Both Opps had followed to the second Diamond (LHO with the 9 and RHO with the 3). So far RHO has showed up with the !D Ace and !C AQ. The lack of a penalty double from either opponent suggests that RHO doesn't have all that much more, and the HCP are relatively evenly split between Opps. If you cash the Queen of Diamonds, the suit might split evenly, in which case you've made your contract, but if LHO turns up with 4 of them, you can endplay him with the last Diamond to lead a Major towards your Major suit kings. That's a good enough plan, but unfortunately LHO shows out on the 3rd Diamond and discards the 9 !H. What now?

The standout play here is to lead a Heart and cover whatever RHO plays. It's unlikely that RHO has another Ace given that they have already shown 10 HCP and didn't double, so unless they hop up with the Jack or Queen of Hearts, you can potentially endplay LHO. This works out perfectly when your suspicions are confirmed and LHO turns out to have started with !S AQ43, !H AQJ9, !D 92, !C 853 (and RHO with !S J108, !H 754, !D A1063, !C AQ4). Making 1NT on these cards is worth a whopping 11 or 12 IMPs. Fair enough, the defence could do a great deal better, both in the bidding and in the play and you should never get anywhere near making more than about 3 tricks.
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: I'm not greedy but...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:54:52 PM »
Another interesting hand.
The hand as it was:

http://tinyurl.com/ycnvotua

It's true that the defenders can take the first 10 tricks. Moreover, if E plays the Q rather than the A at T1, they can still take 10 tricks before S can take 4.  But they did not, and so we can ask what went wrong.

The opening lead was the !C 5. E has no particular reason to know that this is not from a strong suit. Perhaps K9853, perhaps J9853. There is something to be said for playing the Q in either case. In the first case the Q will hold the trick, clarifying the situation. In the second case the Q will be taken by the K, but playing the A also establishes the K. The difference is that if he plays the A then declarer can hold up the K until the third round while if he plays the Q then declarer, not knowing where the A is, will surely take his K. But there are potential downsides to playing the Q in this second case.  W is apt to assume S has the A and so might choose a wrong line based on that assumption.

But let's say he plays the Q, the K wins and declarer plays the !D J.  What now? We still have not ruled out the possibility that the lead was from J9853.

This is a case where top from 3 small would have been more effective. W would lead the 8 and E reasons: If the 8 is 4th best then it must be from KJ98x) since I see everything else higher than the 8. If so, the Q will hold. So he plays the Q, it loses to the K, and E now knows the lead was from a weak rather than a strong holding.  But this is something of a special case and anyway they were not playing top from three small.

Some people play Smith echoes. After the K takes the Q and the !D J is led, W lays a high !D to indicate he wants his suit returned, a small !D to indicate he doesn't. The trouble with that is that even people who play Smith echoes usually play that they are off in a situation where count could be more important. With four !D on the bar and no entry in a side suit, this might well qualify as a case where count takes precedence and Smith echoes are off. But this assumes first that EW are playing them ans second that they have discussed when they are of, when they are on. The chances of this being true in an online pickup game are about zip.

It's a frustrating situation for EW. Maybe they can be thankful that the result was not 1NTX making since I think, as the play went, S can indeed take 7 tricks by following the line recommended by O, after cashing dummy's top !D.

If I were E, I might or might not have played the Q at T1. The usual situation for this play is that E is confident of getting the lead early on. The Q misleads both partner and declarer, but E wants to force declarer to take his hypothetical K rather than to hold up, and E is confident of gaining the lead early so he can produce the A and another !C . Indeed S will go after the !D here so S can do that, but playing A and another !C is not going to go well as the cards lie. If, however, W does have five to the J then E could take the first !D, play A and small, let W run his clubs, and then W gets out with a small !D . Although if he is really alert he might just take his A and then switch to the !S 4. The !C are (with the hypothetical five the J9)   ready to run so E can think about helping out in the majors. With the cards as they actually are, this works great.

I see this as a real challenge for EW . The cards lie very favorably and they can take 10 tricks if they see it, but I am at a loss to say how they should see this clearly. Playing top from three small would, on this particular hand, have made it a lot easier, but they weren't.

A quick note on the bidding: If my four clones were playing we might or might not reach 3NT. There are 24 hcps and no long suit.  My S clone would pass, my W clone would open 1 !C, Pass by any N player, and now the first place where there are choices. A flat 11 count, a four card !D suit headed by the AT, I think he bids an invitational 2NT. Now back to my W clone. A 13 count. The majors are nice with the !S T and the !H 9 . I think my E clone should forgive my W clone if he passes. And forgive him if, on another hand, he raises to 3NT and it fails. It's a close call, imo.  For example E can bring in four !S tricks by playing small to the Q and then the A, bringing down the K. But if he instead starts with the J, the right line  if S has Kxx, then North's 9 stands up. And the !H suit could not be arranged better.  Of course Gib makes a lot to of tricks. Gib has no trouble playing the spades.

There is a lot to look at here.

Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:17:59 PM »
Errr, Ken. This is the same hand (I mean, exactly the same hand)...

I think the major clue is in the strength of the Opening 1NT. Partner is marked with at least a 12-count (if Opener is maximum) up to a possible 14-count (if Opener is minimum). After trick 2 we know that almost none of those points are in the Minors (2 Jacks at most). Even if Partner does have the Jack of Clubs, playing a Club when East eventually taking the !D Ace (maybe even at trick 2 after taking the Club Ace) might give him his Club tricks, but it will also endplay him after he's taken those Club tricks. If partner started with J9xxx, those 3 Club tricks are there for the taking any time he wants to cash them. Much better to lead a Major through Declarer at the earliest opportunity.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 03:40:25 PM by OliverC »
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:26:40 PM »
Yes, it is the same had. I called it "The hand as it was". I was struck by how badly things went for EW so I looked it up to see if I could understand just how it happened. I am fairly sympathetic to EW. Certainly the !C 5 could be fourth best from a five card club suit. So how to handle it?

I seriously doubt that I would rise with the !C A and shift to a major. The best I could come up with that I can imagine I might do is to play the !C Q at T1. We can still get out 10 tricks if I do that, and I think it caters to several holdings. If partner is leading from anything including the K, my Q holds the trick. If the Q loses to the K I still have possibilities, as I mentioned. I have now seen the AKQT. If that 5 was 4th best it would have to be from J985(x) so the suit needs to further help from me, it's ready to run and partner, as soon as I cash the A, knows that it is ready to run. So when I get in with a !D ,  I cash the A and now switch to a major. Hopefully the !S 4 but I am not so sure of that.

On a good day I can imagine myself playing the Q at T1. But hopping up with the A at T1 and switching to the !S 4 ? I don't see me doing this.
I think that is the route to 10 tricks: !S 4 either to the K and A, then the Q, or else the Q and then the A, and then a !S back to the J, then a !H shift to the J, !D back to the A, another !H. The defense gets 4+4+1+1=10 tricks. That's 4 more than they actually got. And,as you note 5 more than they might have got if S finds the endplay. [Added: The sequence for 10 tricks does not have to be exactly as above after the A at T1. A !H through, a !D back, and then the small !S also does it.  But 9 tricks, so down 3, would be satisfactory. ]

There are many hands where, later, I think it through and tell myself that I should have seen the right route. Up with the A and shift to the 4? I would forgive myself if I did not find that. Well, actually I always forgive myself. But there are times when I think my play was very dumb.

Added: Back to my clones and the bidding for a moment. I sometimes play Walsh, sometimes don't. If we were, I think the bidding would gom by EW uncontested, as
 1 !C 1!D
1NT  2NT
and now W can choose.

The reason Walsh makes a difference: Playing non-Walsh E would worry that a 1 !D call would get a 1M rebid from W, and that's not convenient. Playing Walsh, after 1 !C 1 !D W would rebid 1NT with this hand and many others.  NT played W is ok. N could lead the !C T and cause trouble, but I doubt that he would.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:53:11 AM by kenberg »
Ken