Chew the Fat! > IAC & Master Solvers Club

2023 September MSC

(1/4) > >>

Masse24:
SEPTEMBER 2023 MSC
Deadline: JULY 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your SEPTEMBER MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions

* Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.
IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you must live with it.

blubayou:
HOOOORAY AND GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE DISGUSTING AUGUST" SET!  (So many with a smorgasbord of  no answer) I hope never to see again-and I have looked at or participated here since Viet Nam  ended).

first look on prob. A  we notice we have almost never  seen a better dummy for the "misery preference"   to 2 !H .   That  means I have a splinter for north's diamonds.   I hope he will forgive me  for blocking his  "blackwood"   but he should not hang me for not having mega trumps,  his  !H K-x,  and the stiff , but only king-high spades (i bet HE has the missing spade ace?)
                                                          ---Five Clubs---

Problem B:>>  Ahh the ANTI-SPLINTER finally shows up (see my profile)    ___---Four Diamonds---

Problem C:>>  Do we see 3 choices?   nope.     ---Five Clubs---

Problem D:>> OK, west has got me convinced:  Partner doesn't have more than 4 clubs, so he must have 4 spades, and/or 3+ hearts so reaching out for a major game is not a wild stab in the dark...
                                                                         ---Three Spades---

Problem E:>>  My first think is to push with 3 !S   AFTER the opps correct to 3 !H . The LAW says one of us can make 9 tricks.  If the enemy gets to FOUR Hearts before I ever mention my spades, then I have wimped out, and will stay fixed.  The temptation to mention those clubs NOW, and hope to later say 3 Spades is tugging at me, but will that suck partner into a definite overbid?

---Pass/Three Clubs??---

Problem F:>>  A looser of a quizz problem---WTP        ---Three Diamonds---

Problem G:>>  ...?

blubayou:
Problem G:>>  Are they going to 4!S or mor no matter what I do?  Then i better let partner know they are serious about it with a triple jump.  Are they willing to stand down, rightly or wrongly?  Then I like the spade splinter that gets us to 3NT.  Might we have eight  hearts?  We really shouldn't care.
                                                          ---  ?  ---
Problem H:>>  Partner may have up to 5 points on this auction   (12 I see and typically  23-24 held by the opponents. )        I need to get unbusy in one of these side suits, and I choose diamonds.  The lead problems lately have been friendly lately to south flinging unsupported diamond honours out there,  so....
                                                         --- Diamond Jack---

Masse24:
Problem A: 3NT

I've got a totally different take on this one, Blu. No jump-shift, so limited to about 17 or so. But partner is probing with 3 !D, presumably for 3NT? He should have about 16-17 HCP and a potential problem in diamonds.

I am max and have diamonds controlled. So it's 3NT.

I'm having a hard time coming up with another reasonable call. On second thought, I suppose a 0=5=4=4 hand is possible.

hoki:
A First I read Jock's answer and was convinced even though Todd admits partner
might be showing a 5=4=4=0 (or 5=4=3=1?) hand. Then I read Todd's answer
and again I was convinced. Oh dear, I hope not all the problems are going to be
like this. In the end I plumped for 4♥, in the hope that this is the safest game
in case we can't run nine tricks in 3NT after a spade lead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version