2023 JUNE MSC

(1/5) > >>

Masse24:
JUNE 2023 MSC
Deadline: APRIL 30 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your JUNE MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions

* Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.
IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you will have to live with it.

blubayou:
A:   4 !D  --  WHATEVER it means,  it's working

B:  2 !H  cue-invite might beat single raise?

C: Double  one-answer bogus problum deal! OOps;  doubling partner's  2C overcall would be excellent,  if legal...

D: ---(no "speedball" answer  for this nasty problem)---

E:  4 !S  Patterning out beats shortness cuebids  in the MSC

F:  4 !H  we loose  a club and 2 majors---"points schmoints!"

G:  1NT  ??? give me  AKX and XX   in the minors, and we  can debate  some different opening.

H:  !S 8  Sometimes you CAN get a ruff  with your singleton trump ::)

jcreech:

--- Quote from: blubayou on April 05, 2023, 12:31:45 PM ---
D: ---(no "speedball" answer  for this nasty problem)---

--- End quote ---

Problem D

Matchpoints
Neither side vulnerable
You, South, hold:

♠ J 9 3   ♥ A K J   ♦ A K Q 10 4   ♣ J 7
SOUTH   WEST   NORTH   EAST
  ——       1 ♠       Pass       Pass
Double*   Pass      2 ♥       Pass
   ?         
*BWS: 2 NT would have shown 18-19 HCP

What call do you make?

Got intrigued with Jock's comment, and now I see what he means.  You gave up the simple description on the first round of bidding due to only a partial stopper.  Now you have to decide between a cue-bid, that I think is a bit strong given five black losers, a raise with only three pieces, when partner could only have four, and bidding the diamonds and hoping that if hearts are right, partner will rebid them (or that you will get a chance to show the support later).

Right now, I am definitely headed toward a red-suit bid, but which one?  My inclination is toward the hearts.  I may not be happy ruffing a club with the jack, but it is better than ruffing with the queen (and maybe partner has the queen).

wackojack:
Yes, a nasty problem.

Optimistically:   
West opened with 12 East has 3.  So partner has 6. Maybe:   !S Axx.  !H Qxxxx,  !D xx,  !C xxx. That just about makes 4 !H a good contract.  BUt only just.

Pessimistically:
West opened with 15, East has 3.  So partner has 3.  Maybe:  !S xxx  !H Qxxxx,  !D Jx,  !C xxx.   You lose 5 tricks off the top.

So at match points it is tempting to pass. 

Masse24:
Just looked at June now.
As to the lead problem, I think partner's double is screaming for a heart lead to his void. But I want to maintain control of the suit, so I'll underlead my !H Ace. The !H J looks right, asking for a spade return (the ace?).

On second thought --- probably not. I lead stiffs more than I should. Why stop now?

Nothing set in stone. I hate am not fond of lead problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version