2023 MAY MSC

(1/6) > >>

Masse24:
MAY 2023 MSC
Deadline: MARCH 31 at 11:59 p.m. (ET)

Submit your MAY MSC responses here: The Bridge World - MASTER SOLVERS CLUB

BWS 2017 System: BWS 2017
BWS 2017 POLLS, CHANGES AND ADDITIONS: BWS 2017 - Polls, Changes, and Additions

* Bridge World Standard 2017 (BWS or BWS2017) is effective beginning with the January 2017 Master Solvers' Club problems. This page shows (1) the results of the panelist polls that were used to adjust the system; and (2) the changes in and the additions to Bridge World Standard 2001 (BWS2001) that were made.
In the listings of the questions and answers, an asterisk indicates the BWS2001 agreement; the proportion of the expert votes for each item, rounded to the nearest percent, is shown in brackets.
IAC Forum MSC Scores

If you post to The Bridge World you will receive a confirmation immediately and by email. It is preferred that you copy/paste that confirmation as it is easy to read due to the formatting. (Thanks!)

Also, if you post to The Bridge World those will be your official bids. If you make a mistake (try not to as it has happened), you will have to live with it.

blubayou:
A bunch of this month's problems do not pass  Jim / Todd's criterion for being "good MSC problems" -- ie: having THREE PLAUSABLE ANSWERS [or 4 or 5].  Starting with ......
PROBLEM A:>>  Binary choice!  -- Follow the LAW, and reraise or don't do so and let 2 !S ride and likely buy it.  Right now, count me IN:                                          ---Three Hearts---

PROBLEM B:>> A favorite quote i heard long ago goes "If your weak jump raises don't terrify you a bit,  you're not doing them right."  If you combine the votes for "pass', 2 !H  and 4 !H  together, the panel should still be at 21-6  or something in favor of the jump-raise:                                                       ---Three Hearts---

PROBLEM C:>>  If we were not a passed hand, any number of spades from 3 to 6 --  plus 3 or 4  Diamonds would be in the running, but it would be presumptuous to imagine that the opps have a club or heart slam when partner jumps in 3rd seat.  Let's give what I hope is taken as a fit-jump and be glad we don't have a follow-up about what to bid on round 3.
                                                        ---Four Diamonds---

PROBLEM D:>>  I think it's partner's job to bail out here if necessary--not mine. Anyway, I hope 3H isn't the total garden spot.                                                       --- Three Notrump---

PROBLEM E:>>  TEN  LTC "LOOSERS"? Surely it is time to trot out the "cheating raise"---via semiforcing 1NT + plus heart preference.  Obviously BWS doesn't use constructive raises or this would be a quizz with exactly ONE answer
                                                  ---One NOTRUMP---

PROBLEM F:>> Maybe MAYBE I could raise one SPADE to two, but  not one heart.
                                                     ---One Notrump---

PROBLEM G:>> The die has been cast! If we aren't reversing after partner's normal response, we shouldn't have opened one club.                      ---Two Diamonds--- err  "C4"---

PROBLEM H:>>

jcreech:
Here are my initial thoughts:

Problem A:  3 !H  I don't know where Jock gets off thinking there are only two options, I can see two cue-bids available for the aggressive, in addition to the two he identified.  Would I choose one of the cue-bids?  Probably not.  Are they unreasonable?  No.  You only need nine HCPs from partner to have a reasonable shot at the heart game (less with the unlikely singleton or void in diamonds).  Nonetheless, I find solice in the LAW.  Pass is too weak and the cue-bid too strong, while 3 !H is just right.

Problem B:  3 !H  The LAW guides me again.  Let's get to our proper level as quickly as possible.  This may result in the opponents continuing to imprudently bidding spades, but it will also make it more difficult for the opponents to find an alternative strain.

Problem C:  4 !S  I typically like to blast to the level I want to be at immediately.  I may come to regret not bidding to the implied level of the LAW, but the 5-level is frequently daunting.  I will gamble that game will suffice.

Problem D:  Pass.  Partner's bidding typically shows a weak hand with long hearts and no fit for my diamonds.  Time to quit trying for better.

Problem E:  2 !H  The semi-forcing 1 NT is my bugaboo with this hand.  Although I am not distraught to play in NT with this hand, I'd much rather be in the 8-card heart fit and leave partner's hand hidden.  I raise; support with support.

Problem F:  1 NT  I am torn between 1 NT, raise partner and pass.  I am minimum opposite a passed hand, but I also have a maximum, full-values for my minimum.  I do not want to encourage the opponents to enter the fray with the pass, and I don't want to encourage partner too much with a raise (particularly if he only has four), so I split the difference with the very descriptive 1 NT.

Problem G:  c4 (open 1 !C, then reverse into 2 !D)  I see no reason to distort my shape.  I wish I had some better spot-cards, but this hand has primes, so I am willing to reverse on this 16.

Problem H:  ?  Pulling a Jock here - Still trying to work this one out.  A spade may pickle partner's holding and thereby the entire suit.  A heart doesn't feel like it will help, being the suit of a hand that doubled and bid, though declarer doesn't seem to have a fit.  Diamonds are my best holding, but they may not be well placed for a lead with the NT bidder on my right; I probably should wait on the suit.  And declarer should definitely have some clubs, and despite my opening bid, I do not.  I'm beginning to think that Hideous Hog's lead advice to Rueful Rabbit may be best - 7th from either the right or left.  I hate to say this, but my strongest inclination right now is to lead the !D Q, like last month, hoping to hit Jxxxx with partner.

blubayou:
I hate to say it too, Jim!  (and that 98xx spade suit sort-a echos the 98xxx from February that won the 100 ?!)  but April was IMPS and this one is MP, which is why my early guess list still has holes in it.

Masse24:
I usually hate lead problems.

My choices are often just a gut feeling, or even a guess, or best of bad choices. Rarely, a suit and card is indicated. Like here.

That !D Q, though scary, is screaming, "lead me!" We need something from partner and length to the Jack in diamonds seems our best bet.

Something must be wrong because I liked this problem. Uh oh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version