Chew the Fat! > IAC & Master Solvers Club

Master Solvers Club: July 2019

(1/3) > >>

Masse24:
July MSC

One week remains. Get your MSC thinking caps on.

July MSC problems can be found here: https://www.bridgeworld.com/indexphp.php?page=/pages/msc/mastersolversmainpage.html

Masse24:
July guesses:

PROBLEM A: 3NT. Close. My second choice, 3 !D , is too heavy. But the 3NT indicating a solid !D suit is not quite as “solid” as I would like.

PROBLEM B: 3NT. My second choice, a rather esoteric 3 !H, should pigeonhole my shape (two !S ) and willingness to cooperate further or play the 5-2 !S fit.

PROBLEM C: 5 !C. To double then pull partner’s 4 !S to 5 !C to show this hand does not appeal to me. Also, 5 !C (minimally) protects my !D honor.

PROBLEM D: Dbl. What else? [ADDED]: Although I stayed with my first choice, I think 2 !H is very close. It is not too strong for a 2 !H overcall, in my opinion.

PROBLEM E: 3 !D. I am torn on this one (what’s new?). Partner is probably short in !D. Because partner is not flat (see BWS and note on Problem F). I am tempted to try a Walsh type 2 !S , which should deny four !S , but show Hxx and an invite. But how Walshy is BWS?

PROBLEM F: 1NT. A beginnerish call--today I’m a beginner. A race to 1NT—and this will be the explanation by a few of the panel. It’s MP. My second choice is to pass! [ADDED]: The lack of a !S bid from anyone at the table is enough to push me to choose 1NT. This is a "first to 1NT wins" hand.

PROBLEM G: Pass. A possible misfit with partner. Second choice is 2 !D .

PROBLEM H: !H T. Second choice is obviously one of the Aces, but which one? !C A would be a good choice . . . to get a peek at the dummy. Not a tactic I often use. [ADDED] I changed my mind here--going with the !C Ace. I'd lead the !H 10 against 1S-4S, but this preempt auction is different. The !C Ace is less likely to blow a trick directly because any opposing picture cards in clubs are most likely not on my right. The !H 10 might allow a declarer to dump a loser, too. (The !H 10 will be the runaway solver choice.) Admittedly, this is a high variance action.

First guesses. Will look again in a day or so, after some of the IAC cognoscenti chime in! :)

SUBMITTED BELOW ANSWERS:

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes
Glen Ellyn IL
U.S.A.

PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 3 Diamonds
PROBLEM F: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: Pass
PROBLEM H: Club Ace

wackojack:
Submitted

A   3N wtp?

B   My very first look up of BWS noting that 1m-2 !S is a Flannery type response.  I have a good 14, so I must either bid game or make a forcing bid.  I also assume that with 1444 partner would open 1  !D.  3  !H must be looking for more info and partner may get the message to bid 4  !S with 6 and 3NT with 5 but I am not taking the chance  I bid 3NT.

C   5  !C

D   Double

E   Partner is likely to have 6  !C + 4  !S so misfit. I cannot rule out that a Moysian 4  !S might make or 3NT but I am going for the low road.  I bid  1NT

F    1NT

G  2  !D as all other bids look worse

H Crossed my mind to make an unusual lead like 2 !D, but rejected it.  A passive  10  !H.

drac:
SOLVER: Wladislaus Dragwlya
        Castrum Sex
        Romania

Your Solutions for the July 2019 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM B: 3 Notrump
PROBLEM C: 5 Clubs
PROBLEM D: Double
PROBLEM E: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM F: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM G: 1 Notrump
PROBLEM H: Heart 10

smerriman:
A: 3NT. Too good for 3D, but doesn't seem much use in jumping to 3C.
B: 3NT. But what does 2NT mean in this sequence? I don't like the idea of 2NT being a signoff. I asked this on the BBO forums a few months ago and everyone had a different opinion. I liked the last idea of a max with doubleton spade, which this is.. but since I don't expect my partner to know what 2NT means either, I'll just bid the game.
C: 5C - can't see any alternative.
D: Dbl - also can't see any alternative.
E: 1N, but equally torn between about 4 different bids.
F: 1N - if they have 7 tricks, good for them.
G: Pass, though it's quite a gamble.
H: HT like everyone else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version