Chew the Fat! > IAC & Master Solvers Club

Master Solvers Club - August 2019

(1/3) > >>

Masse24:
August MSC problems are attached.

They can also be viewed here: https://www.bridgeworld.com/indexphp.php?page=/pages/msc/mastersolversmainpage.html

Deadline for responses is July 10, 9:00 a.m. EST.

Masse24:
My first stab at August follows:

A: 4 !H. 5 !H is tempting, but for now 4 !H. The suit disparity leads me to believe that a two-suited overcall is not best. Plus, in this auction, Leaping Michaels should apply, so that “two-suited” bid would be 4 !D to show the red suits, which is a bit of a fib with this 7-5. This auction is not over.
Second choice: 5 !H. Third: 4 !D

B: 4 !H. I am missing something. Where are the  !S? If partner is 5-5 in the reds, and East is not showing a five-card !S suit with either 3 !S or a UvU 3 !H (instead opting to penalize !D), then partner likely has three !S. Which would give opener 5 !S and a 6 card !C suit (or similar). Partner is very short in !C, either stiff or void. If this assessment is correct, is an immediate 5 !H better?

C: 3 !D. I can't force game with this, can I?
Second choice: Double. Third: 3 !H

D: 4 !H. Partner is still groping for strain. He knows of my six !D , should he know I have seven? Best to keep it low and tell partner of my delayed !H support. Since I bypassed  !S (presumably denying four), partner's 3 !S may only have been a grope for 3NT. If partner continues over 4 !H, I'll know he wanted more.
Second choice: 4 !D. Third: 4 !C (not fond of this, it's murky)

E: Pass. They are already headed to game. The double only gives them another bid (redouble) along the way to communicate.
Second choice: 4 !S.

F: 2 !C. I am usually loathe to open these types of hands 2 !C. 4NT, if it is a specific Ace ask, has some appeal. I’ll have to look it up. Not sure if it’s BWS.
Second choice: 4NT. Third: 1 !S

G: 3 !D. Where I live. Though at MPs, the double (to get the !S in), and 3NT both have merit.
Second choice: 3NT. Third: Double

H: !S 6. Standout lead. Majority choice? Leading from “Ace-empty” is not appealing. What am I missing?
Second choice: Same as the first.

This will go through two or three "edits" before I pull the trigger in July. In a week I'll revisit these choices and think to myself, "What on earth was I thinking?"  :o ??? ;)

drac:
here is me "solution" for August up for critique (be frank, no need to be nice - you know how Drs are) cheers  ;)

Your solutions have been received. This copy is for your records.

SOLVER: Wladislaus Dragwlya
        Castrum Sex --
        Romania

Your Solutions for the August 2018 Contest
-------------------
PROBLEM A: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM B: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM C: Double
PROBLEM D: 4 Hearts
PROBLEM E: 4 Spades
PROBLEM F: 2 Clubs
PROBLEM G: Double
PROBLEM H: Heart 4

Masse24:

One week remains. 

August MSC problems can be found here: https://www.bridgeworld.com/indexphp.php?page=/pages/msc/mastersolversmainpage.html

Masse24:
FIRST GUESSES:

PROBLEM A: 3 !C. I should probably go with a more vanilla spade bid (likely the runaway solver choice), but which level? 3 !S is my second choice.

PROBLEM B: 1NT. Nothing is remotely attractive. 1NT is right on values, so close my eyes and do it. 2nd choice is Pass.

PROBLEM C: Double. [EDIT] Changed my mind on this one. I had originally chosen Pass.

PROBLEM D: 2NT. The K&R on this is 21.7. It’s a close choice between 2NT and 2 !C – 2 !D – 2NT. Although a 1 !D start then jump-shift is at least a naturalish start, the trend toward treating this type of hand as blanced will, I think, be the popular panel choice.

PROBLEM E: 3 !H. Weird hand. Weird choice. Too weak. But very shapely. The attraction of 3 !H is that with my !C length I need very little from partner (Qx?) to run the !C. So I keep 3NT in the picture. My (very close) 2nd choice is Double.

PROBLEM F: Pass. A viable choice. Since nothing else tickled my fancy, why not?

PROBLEM G: 4 !H. My first instinct. My 2nd choice is double.

PROBLEM H: !D Q. Have not yet constructed possible hand shapes. This may screw with communication.

Not yet final. I'll need to let these marinate a while before pulling the trigger.

I went with the choices above

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version