Author Topic: Thoughts on weak 2's  (Read 2152 times)

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Thoughts on weak 2's
« on: April 09, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »

This hand came up in a spurs team match.  Non vul against vul partner South opened 2♠, assumed weak.  I passed without any doubts.  These were the 2 hands: 
North           ♠ J,               ♥ AK864, ♦ QJ52, ♣ Q93
South           ♠ AQ10832, ♥ J,          ♦  987,   ♣ KJ10           

The hand was unremarkable in that partner made 2♠ with an overtrick.  What I did notice was that partner opened 2♠ with an 11 count, and moreover two 10’s and a singleton too boot.  I have noticed that over on the American side of the pond the culture is to readily open 2♠ with 10 points and over on my side of the pond 10 points is usually considered too strong to open a weak 2.   What is interesting to me is that with a combined 24 points, 3NT is a decent contract by virtue of both the singleton Jacks pulling their weight.   Of course, even had I known that partner had max 11, I would still have passed 2♠. 

This is what Kantar says about responding to a 2♠ opening bid:
•   "With a singleton in partner's suit and no strong suit of your own, do not even think of bidding on unless you have 16+ HCP."

Yes, I agree entirely with that advice.  However, all you have to do is to give me 1 point more, say, ♦ KQ102 and 3NT is a contract that definitely should not be missed.

At the lighter end of opening with a weak 2, Larry Cohen says:
“I'd gladly open 2♠ with ♠ KJ10986, ♥ 4, ♦ 10874, ♣ 32”

So, the range appears to be from a good 4 to a bad 11.  This is an 8 point range and obviously too much for a 2NT response to sort out whether or not one should go to game.  Contrast this with a 1NT opening bid which has a range of 3 points and an invite bid is still considered worthwhile in order to sort 15-17 into 15 to poor 16 and good 16 to 17. 
The question that all players that open 2♠ with 10 or a bad 11 points should ask themselves is: “Do I want 2♠ to be a pre-empt, or to be a descriptive bid that is not a pre-empt?”  If I open 2♠ with 10 points then it is odds on that we own the hand. So, unless the range of this opening bid is narrow, we are not pre-empting the opponents we are pre-empting poor partner.  Incidentally, I recall that when the Dutch won the Bermuda Bowl a few years ago, at least one pair divided their weak major suit hands into 2 opening bids.  2♥/♠ very weak max 6 or 7, I believe, and 2♦ a multi bid with one of the options being a stronger hand with a 6 card major, maybe up to 10 points.

For me, along with I believe, the vast majority of players on my side of the pond, the range of a major suit weak 2, is 5-9 and if you have a 6 card suit and 10 points then open 1M.  Then there is no gap.  I hasten to add that all my arguments apply to opening in 1st and 2nd position.  In 3rd, of course and in 4th for that matter a different set of rules will apply. 

Back to the 2 hands in the match.  If I were sitting South then the bidding would go:
2/1    1♠ - 2♥ - 2♠ - 3NT
SA   1♠-2♥-2♠ - ? This is a toss-up between 2N and 3N.
In 2/1 make responder 1 point lighter then: 1♠-1NT-2♠-2NT-p.

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on weak 2's
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:32:55 PM »
We agree on one aspect of this: Holding six spades and at least some values, I like to open some number of !S. So is this a 1 !S opener or a 2 !S opener? I would open 1 !S. After which I suppose responder bids a GF 2 !H. Responder's hand is really not all that great opposite a 1 !S opening but I tend to be optimistic. Maybe 3NT makes, but I would not bet heavily on it.

Mixing advice from Kantar with advice from Cohen gets a little tricky, one is far more aggressive than the other. Also, Kantar did not, afaik, play 2/1 so he could open 1 !S with the option of 1 !S - 2 !H - 2 !S - 3 !H - Pass on some hands, or on these 1 !S - 2 !H - 2 !S - 2NT - Pass

Anyway, I agree about not wanting a gap between 1 !S and 2 !S. I have heard players say that a hand with a six card !S suit was too strong to open 2 !S and too weak to open 1 !S so they passed. Sometimes that actually works out but it is not my style, or at most rarely on some weird  hand. With a six card !S suit I like to open unless it is truly weak. With the Cohen had I pass except, if white versus red, then I would think about 2 !S. Not sure I would do it.
Ken