Chew the Fat! > Sleight of Hand

NMF - opener's 1st obligation?

(1/3) > >>

veredk:
There are different suggestions for opener's 1st rebid; support responder's major with 3 or bid your own 4 card other major. What are the advantages of one over the other?
Thanks, Vered

jcreech:
Although, technically, it should be better to reach the 4-4 fit rather than the 5-3 fit, I tend to show my three-card support for partner first. 

I show the support because it is more likely that partner has already shown a five-card suit than is showing a second four-card suit. 

It also gives partner information about my hand; if I do not show support for partner's suit, I deny three cards in that suit, which allows partner to evaluate their own holding more appropriately.

kenberg:

--- Quote from: veredk on March 16, 2022, 04:14:39 AM ---There are different suggestions for opener's 1st rebid; support responder's major with 3 or bid your own 4 card other major. What are the advantages of one over the other?
Thanks, Vered

--- End quote ---

Edited, my first response was careless.

Steve Robinson advocates that after minor-1 !S - 1NT-newminor-? that if opener holds four hearts and three spades he should rebid 2 !H. The idea is that it gives more room to sort out strength.

For example: 1 !C - 1 !S - 1NT - 2 !D - 2 !H -2 !S is minimal. Respomder bid 2 !D, nmf, so he has at least invit values.  Now opener bids 2 !H, showing four heartss, but not denying three spades. With a minimal invit hand, responder can now bid 2 !S. This doesn't show six, it just shows minimal values.Opener can now decide what to do. He might, on some hands, even decide to leave it in a 5-2 fit. The point is that the auction is at 2 !S, opener knows responder has five spades, does not have four hearts, and has a minimal hand. He can do as he thinks best.

wackojack:
I am not sure we are talking about the same things. 

Vered asks about opener's rebid and by that I assume she means 1st rebid.  If this be so then the question must be:
1m-1 !H - ? when I have 3 card support for hearts and a 4 card spade suit. 

The answer is abolutely clear here and it is NEVER support hearts on the 1st round with 3 hearts and 4 spades.

What you do bid when you have 3 hearts and 4 spades is however, contentious. 
One school of thinking says:
My first duty is to tell partner if I have a balanced or unbalance hand.  In this case if I have a balanced 12-14 with 3 hearts and 4 spades  I rebid 1NT.   
The other school of thinking says bid up-the-line so I don't miss a 4-4 spade fit in which case the bidding goes 1m-1 !H-1 !S.

There are arguments for and against both.  We can go into those arguments if that is what you are asking Vered

jcreech:
Jack,

You are right - there is a disconnect between Vered's subject line - which Ken and I focused on - and the question as asked by Vered.

Working with the actual question, my answer is it depends on the hand.  Nonetheless, the hand she describes has three of partner's major and four of the other.  When partner has responded in hearts, I will always rebid spades.  When partner has responded spades, if I have a balanced hand, I will always rebid 1NT, but if I have an unbalanced hand, then I will raise with three wishing that I had a fourth, while feeling a bit stuck otherwise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version