University of IAC > 2/1 Talk

Trying to play with GIBs, a minor rant

<< < (3/3)

kenberg:
Here is a hand to illustrate some points made in my reply to aloysuis. I played it yesterday in the "just declare". The bots do the bidding, you are then to cope with the results as declarer.

http://tinyurl.com/yamgbmld

Look at T1. Who on earth would lead the stiff !H K? Nobody. But the dd analysis says it is harmless. Sure. Playing dd I will drop the stiff K. In actual play, I wouldn't.  So a simulation works poorly here since really it is saying "Leadiing the stiff K might well be ok since if declarer holds the A he can drop it anyway".

So now I am on track for 9 tricks. I made 10. I got some help at T6 when the bot, after winning the !D K, led a !C allowing me to get a sluff/ruff. Should he have known better? Well, E was dealt !C JT54 and he did play them in the order 54J. Otoh, W was dealt !C 8632 and played them 386. So signals here might have been random. So maybe from the bot's viewpoint I could have been dealt AKQT.

Now how about the human element? Surely if I had the !D A I would have played it [Edit: Well, maybe not] before playing my clubs. And just as surely I don't have the !S A since if I did, I would not be throwing the !S K from the board. So if the bot trusts me at all, then some things that a random simulation would consider viable in fact are not at all reasonable.  I am pretty sure the bots never take the human element into account.

Playing with the bots, or for that matter with humans, requires a sense of humor. Still, it is interesting to try to crawl inside their brains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version