Author Topic: weird happens  (Read 2362 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
weird happens
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »
Playing in a Swiss match yesterday,  last match with our team doing well, I had a hand where I was in 2 !H making 6. Not good. But the bridge gods were watching over me. At the other table the person holding my cards was in 4 !H off 1. 

In fact 4 !H can be made, but it was a lot easier for me because of the opening lead.

Here is the auction, starting on my right:

1 !D  1 !H  P  P
2 !C  2 !H  P  P

At our table the opening 1 !d was a possibly short Precision !D showing 2 _ as they played it. Of course after the 2 !C cal it is unlikely that the 1 !D was on 2, but it seems very possible that the clubs are longer than the diamonds. My LHO led a !C spot from xx, hoping for a ruff I imagine.

The NS cards:

Dummy:
!S: xxx
!H: xx
!D: Axxx
!C: QJTx

!S: Kx
!H: AQJ9xx
!D: Qx
!C: A9x.

I covered the lead of the !C spot. I suppose RHO should hold back on the k but he didn't. I am making 5 if he holds off, but when he played the K I made 6.  Given the auction and the high card points in my hand and dummy I can reasonably place the three missing kings and the ace of spades (their 1NT opening would have been on 14-16. So, after the opening club spot to the QKA, it was !D to the board,  a !H finesse, then the A of !H. This might or might not be dropping the K but if not I will just play another !H and lose one !S. one !H, and one !D. But the K did fall, not all that surprising on the auction, so I drew the last trump, ran the clubs tossing the !D Q, and took the spade finesse for 12 tricks.  basically the hand plays itself after the opening !C lead.

It gets a good bit trickier on a !D lead. If you play low from dummy the K will win and for all you know there might be an immediate ruff. Moreover, establishing the Q really doesn't do all that much good. So I think it hast to be: Rise with the A, finesse the !H. It of course holds. Then the !H A. It drops the K, The !H J draws the last trump. Two !C tricks and a !S will give you 1+6+1+2=10 tricks. So: !C A and small !C to the board. You have another !C so regardless of what RHO does you are getting your three black winners.

I didn't check just how it was that declarer at the other table went down, but certainly it gets touchy after the !D lead.  If it went small !D small to the K and a !D back, I think declarer has to overtake the Q and start on hearts or he goes down.

I regard my hand as right on the border between the auction that I chose and, alternatively, starting with a X and then bidding !H, hopefully the 2 level will be available when it gets back to me. .  Obviously it's a good hand but if partner has no bid after my 1 !H I think it is unlikely that we have a game anywhere. With the cards as they are, 4 !H can be made but wasn't. 

Ken

OliverC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • OCP Super-Precision
Re: weird happens
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:40:11 PM »
!S xxx
!H xx
!D Axxx
!C A9x

!S Kx
!H AQJ9xx
!D Qx
!C A9x

As you say, placing the outstanding high cards is not really a problem on this bidding, so if East leads a small Spade at some point, it's not a tough decision to go up with the Ace.

As you say, given the lack of sure entries to Dummy, you just have to go for !H Kx on your right and use the Ace of of Diamonds to take the all-important Heart finesse.

I suppose you could make a case for leading the !C Queen at trick 3, because it's a more sure-fire winning finesse. if East covers, you can immediately play Ace and Q of Hearts, because now you can afford to lose a Heart. The danger, of course, is when East has 5-5 in the Minors and West has 3 Hearts, because now you're liable to run into a Club ruff.

Personally I'd always go for the !H finesse, because there's "no time toulouse" given our confidence in the location of the A !S, K !D and K !C. That's especially true when the opening lead is a small Club, because that's almost certainly a singleton.

Thank God for Opps who give us obliging opening leads
Oliver (OliverC)
IAC Website Obergruppenfuhrer

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: weird happens
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »
It's not every day you play 2 !H making 6 and it turns out to be a good board! I am sympathetic with the problem of my LHO.  They were playing 1NT as 14-16, so with his 2=2=5=4 shape and his 13 count (one Ace, three Kings) he may well have been planning on 1 !D and then rebidding 1NT. But perhaps Kx of hearts made him think twice about that.  At any rate, he chose 2 !C as a rebid.

4 !H can be made, but it's a bit of a transportation puzzle on a !D lead. I was seriously worried when I made 12 tricks in 2 !H. Fortunately I had driven my own car so I would not have had to walk home if the other table was in 6 !H making.
Ken