Author Topic: Maintaining control of the hand  (Read 2302 times)

jcreech

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Maintaining control of the hand
« on: September 17, 2018, 02:17:42 AM »
Dlr: South
Vul: None

North
           !S T
           !H 76
           !D AKQJ542
           !C KT4

West                    East
 !S QJ75               !S  K984
 !H T9                  !H  QJ2
 !D 876                !D  9
 !C AQ75              !C  j8632

South
           !S A632
           !H AK8543
           !D T3
           !C 9

Auction:
North     East   South   West
 1 !H         P     2 !D        P
 2 !H         P     4 !H        P
    P          P

This hand became interesting because of the Dare to Practice session.  There was a similar hand that came up that nearly every declarer got wrong.  The Dare hand required that you give up an early trump in order to retain control of a side suit; if you did this, then you made the contract, if not, you were down.

On this hand, the defense started with the Q !S.  My initial thought was to ruff two spades, then play three rounds of trump, hoping that they split,  I would lose a !H, !S and !C

I then realized that there was an alternative line that might net an additional trick while practicing one of the techniques coming out of Angel Blue's lessons.  I still needed trump to break, but instead of ruffing any spades, I give up a trump at trick two.  That way, I still have control of the spades, and do not need give up that trick. 

So at trick two, I led a trump.  West overtook the trick to lead a !D (trying for a Merrimack coup, perhaps - cutting my communication with dummy).  My ten won the trick, two rounds of trump pulled the defensive teeth, and a !D to dummy completed 12 tricks.

Obviously, the best contract is 6 !D, but few found their way to a diamond contract, and the one that reached the slam failed to find the winning line on a trump lead.  Primarily, you need to be flexible to take whatever opportunity the defense allows.

On the trump lead, you need to play for !H 's to break - play AK and ruff the third round, and after pulling trump, use the A !S to get back for the winning !H 's.

On a !C lead, you lose to the A, the K is now good, and you get to ruff the last !C.  Everything else will be top tricks.

On a !S lead, you win and lead a !C hoping the ace is onside.  It is, so then you just need to ruff the small !C and take top tricks.

A stairway to nowhere is better than no stairway at all.  -Kehlog Albran

kenberg

• View Profile
Re: Maintaining control of the hand
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
 Another nice hand and a good duck. I still hope this posting of interesting hands will catch on with others.
Ken