Author Topic: Kickback, and all that jazz, from today's lesson  (Read 7098 times)

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Kickback, and all that jazz, from today's lesson
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 06:29:09 PM »
Regarding the “what’s trump” when playing Kickback (this applies to Minorwood, too), setting trump—if possible--is at the top of the list of concerns. I had a similar “discussion” a year ago on this forum, although it pertained to 4NT as the ask. When a suit is used as the ask, it’s even more important to “set trump” to avoid misunderstandings.

So, for example, 1 !H – 2 !D – 3 !D – 4 !H ---------- this is Kickback for !D because if responder wanted to set !H as trump, he bids 3 !H over 3 !D . . . he had the opportunity to set !H as trump, but did not. This is one of the more important meta-agreements that should be discussed.

Another auction is this: 1 !S – 2 !H – 3 !H – 3 !S. What’s trump? Lacking 6-card RKC, for me trump is !H. I read a forum post long ago by Justin Lall who espoused this method. Who am I to argue?

These are all good discussions. If I had a regular partner, I’d want to type up a thorough set of agreements for these auctions. I already started my list a few years ago, but never finished it. This forum is a great place to raise this topic!
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln