Author Topic: Kickback, and all that jazz, from today's lesson  (Read 7097 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
Kickback, and all that jazz, from today's lesson
« on: July 06, 2019, 01:59:44 AM »
Jim and I had this fun auction where we actually ended up in the right contract. I don't play either kickback or minorwood, but I want to ask those of you who do what would be what.

1 !D   2  !C
2 !D - 3 !D
3 !S - 4 !C
4 !D - 4 !H
5 NT - 7 !D

For me, and I think for Jim. the 3 !S, the 4 !C and the 4 !H were all cue bids. After the 4 !C I bid 4 !D to see if Jim could bid 4 !H. He could and he did. Then I bid 5NT, the Grand Slam Force and presto, we were in 7 !D making.

So:

For those of you who play minorwood: Would my 4 !D have been minorwood?

For those of you who play kickback: Would Jim's 4 !H have been kickback?

I have always been a bit uneasy about both of these conventions. Marc was advocating kickback over minorwood, I think that makes sense to me, but I am wary of both of them. Thoughts are welcome.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:02:54 AM by kenberg »
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
Re: Kickback, and all that jazz, from today's lesson
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »
Ken, the simple answer is yes to both.

The difficult questions to answer are not so much, when is it on, but when is it not on?
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »
I would very much like to go through all of Marc's lesson hands and try to distil good bidding principles that we should adhere to.  I make a point of viewgraphing when Marc and David Bird are commentators.  They are good friends but frequently have very different views which I find interesting.   

1 HAND 1 (S)
Game All. Dealer South (Board 7)

North
x x
A x
A Q 2
A K x x x x

South
A x x x
K
K J 10 x x x
Q x
Possible bidding:
   West      North      East      South
   ---      ---      ---      1D
   Pass      2C      Pass      2D
   Pass      3D      Pass      3S
   Pass      4H      Pass      4NT
   Pass      5D      Pass      5H
   Pass      6C      Pass      7D
   All Pass

1. Marc says: "Even after a 2/1 response, a reverse by opener should still show extra values. Bidding 2D on this hand does not preclude finding a spade fit, since responder can now bid 2S is he has 4s/5+c."

I think this is contentious.  Many maintain that a 2 level reverse need not promise extras.  If it does promise extras, then how much extra?  Like a reverse after a 1 over 1 ?  If you did reverse on this hand you are still well placed.

2. After 1 !D -2  !C- 2  !D- 3 !D or 1 !D -2  !C-3  !C, then a bid of a major  shows a stopper for no trumps and is NOT a cue bid.

3. You can still make a Queen ask in an agreed minor suit after RKB with the next suit up provided it is a grand that you are interested in.  Thus 4N-5  !D - 5  !H is a Q ask.  Then 6  !C, says yes and Q  !H.  Thus 13 tricks.

4. Grands should only be bid when you can virtually count 13 tricks.  In this case South can count 6  !D + 2  !H + 1  !S = 9 and so 4  !C tricks are needed.  South can almost assume that North has a 6 card club suit but not quite.  However even with 5 clubs, (AKxxx), South can infer the necessary entries  to ruff out a 4-2  club break and establish a 4th club. 

No time to comment on incoming posts now

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
Looking at the NS cards in hand 1, 7 !D is clearly a favorite to make. But I have been fretting  a bit about my auction and maybe this given one as well. I don't see that it is at all clear to S that N has particularly long !C. Everyone plays that 1 !S -2 !G shows five hearts, some play that 1M-2 @D shows five diamonds, I think it is nt really playable to insist that 1M - 2 !C show five, but maybe for 1 !D - 2C we can insist that it be five.  We do et dealt 3=3=3=4 hands, and sometimes no number of NT is right on point count, so ...?

I was thinking maybe N should do the asking. He knows he has six !C and in fact six to the AK. After 1 !D - 2 !c - 2 !D he could well be thinking of the !C as a trick source. Of course he does not know I have the !C Q but I did open the bidding, he is holding the !D AQ so I have to have some values in the other suits.

The question: Who is best laced to imagine 13 tricks after we see that we have ll the keys?  Maybe I (South) am, I certainly made the choice with my 5NT, but sometimes I later think I was a bit lucky. And I am still interested in how one might invoke kickback here. There was a 4 !H call on the suggested auction. If the pair were playing kickback, would that 4 !H call over the 3 !S be kickback?

As to extra values for a reverse after a 2/1 bid, I like 1 !H - 2m - 2 !S to show extras but after 1 !D - 2 !C I prefer that 2M not show extras.  There are too many shape issues still unsettled and I think it is necessary to get started. Opener might have no major, one major or both majors and the length of his !D suit is 3+. I was happy to rebid 2 !D, having a six card suit. I would also want to do it with most five card !D holdings. But with, say, a 3=4=4=2 shape, I would just as soon bid 2 !H unless the three card !S holding has some values in it. Maybe we belong in NT, but if my !S are three spots then mabe we don't and if we do maybe we belong in NT played from partner's side. Or, if I am 2=4=4=3 I am not fond of raising !C on three spots. I do think there are differences of opinion on this. BWS says  "Opener's reverse of the form one diamond — two clubs — two of a major does not promise extra values and is ambiguous as to diamond length."  Ok, but if I have six !D and 2 !S is ambiguous about !D length, I think I will rebid 2 !D.

The minor suit slam lesson was an excellent choice. As we saw, there are a variety of ways to get the minors into the act, but few of us spend all that much time thinking about it.  If 12 tricks are available in some suit, it is just as likely that the suit is a minor as that it is a major. I think that there is a lot of food for thought in these hands.
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »
Here is another discussion point from the hand I bid. After  1 !D - 2 !C - 2 !D - 3 !D I bid 3 !S. I had the !S A but I agree that I might bid 3 !S without it, hoping partner has some !H values and can bid 3NT which, on a different hand, I would then pass. But on this hand, if partner had bid 3NT over my 3 !S, I was planning on bidding 4 !D. What's that?  My thinking: When I make a bid that sounds like to could be an attempt to reach 3NT, and then when partner bids 3NT, and then I pull, then I think the bid, the 3 !S bid in this case, should be re-assessed. Why would I suggest that maybe we can play in 3NT and then pull when partner says "ok, 3NT sounds right"? I think the 4 !D says not only that I am interested in a !D slam but also that that I have the !S A.  The 3 !S bid by itself did not show an A, but the 3 !S bid followed by a pull from 3NT should, I think, show the !S A.
Ken

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »
Here is another discussion point from the hand I bid. After  1 !D - 2 !C - 2 !D - 3 !D I bid 3 !S. I had the !S A but I agree that I might bid 3 !S without it, hoping partner has some !H values and can bid 3NT which, on a different hand, I would then pass. But on this hand, if partner had bid 3NT over my 3 !S, I was planning on bidding 4 !D. What's that?  My thinking: When I make a bid that sounds like to could be an attempt to reach 3NT, and then when partner bids 3NT, and then I pull, then I think the bid, the 3 !S bid in this case, should be re-assessed. Why would I suggest that maybe we can play in 3NT and then pull when partner says "ok, 3NT sounds right"? I think the 4 !D says not only that I am interested in a !D slam but also that that I have the !S A.  The 3 !S bid by itself did not show an A, but the 3 !S bid followed by a pull from 3NT should, I think, show the !S A.
Ken, this feels a bit too restrictive to me.

I agree that the initial 3 !S should be assumed to be a grope for 3NT, and the subsequent "pull" of partner's offer to play there is a slam move. But to limit it to only the Ace seems contrary to standard control bidding principles, whereby first or second round controls are shown. My preference would be to treat as simply "a control."
“Kindness is the only service that will stand the storm of life and not wash out. It will wear well and will be remembered long after the prism of politeness or the complexion of courtesy has faded away.” Abraham Lincoln

Masse24

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »
As to extra values for a reverse after a 2/1 bid, I like 1 !H - 2m - 2 !S to show extras but after 1 !D - 2 !C I prefer that 2M not show extras. There are too many shape issues still unsettled and I think it is necessary to get started. Opener might have no major, one major or both majors and the length of his !D suit is 3+. I was happy to rebid 2 !D, having a six card suit. I would also want to do it with most five card !D holdings. But with, say, a 3=4=4=2 shape, I would just as soon bid 2 !H unless the three card !S holding has some values in it. Maybe we belong in NT, but if my !S are three spots then mabe we don't and if we do maybe we belong in NT played from partner's side. Or, if I am 2=4=4=3 I am not fond of raising !C on three spots. I do think there are differences of opinion on this. BWS says  "Opener's reverse of the form one diamond — two clubs — two of a major does not promise extra values and is ambiguous as to diamond length."  Ok, but if I have six !D and 2 !S is ambiguous about !D length, I think I will rebid 2 !D.

I am in lockstep with this method, Ken. I know that not everyone agrees. But at least we have BWS to fall back on as an authoritative source. Additionally, Mike Lawrence, in his 2/1 book, goes so far as to say that a rebid of 2 !D "Promises five !D. You almost always bid 2 !D when you have five . . . . You may rebid 2NT with five !D if you like. You will not, however, rebid 2 !H or 2 !S when you have five !D. The idea is that if responder has a four card major, he will always, without exception, bid it after opener's 2 !D bid."

Lawrence goes on to say, "Rebidding a major is not a real reverse. It does not show extra values. It basically says you do not have five !D and that you do not feel like bidding notrump. It is, however, forcing to game."

This is my preferred method and, if given the time, something to discuss with partner.

I recall reading one of Steve Robinson's "articles" several years ago about this exact auction in a 2/1 context. 1 !D - 2 !C - ??
The links have since been removed. Several of the "expert" panelists, however, agreed with the thinking that not rebidding 2 !D by opener denied having five. I asked Robinson about those articles around two months ago. He said the links will be reinstated at some point in the future. I look forward to it, there was some good discussion on various topics within.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
Yes, I thik pulling 3NT tp 4 !D could well be on the K rather than the A for the reasons you say.
Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 09:42:23 AM »
Re: ken's questions on kickback and minorwood. 

The first thing to get clear is the purpose of the conventions RKB, kickback and minorwood. They are there to keep you out of bad slams.  This pre-supposes that the earlier bidding establishes that you have the necessary combined strength to be in the slam zone and these conventions are final checks to establish that you are not missing 2 keycards.  So when diamonds is the agreed suit what is the problem with normal RKB?  We should never get too high because a response of 5  !H would show 2 keys and would we ever use RKB with no aces and say just the K  !D?  So kickback or minorwood not necessary at least not when the diamond suit is agreed. 

This leads into Ken's question on which side should do the asking.  As a general principle it makes sense that the the unlimited hand should ask the limited hand.  This makes it inconceivable that RKB would be made by a hand with no aces.  Now back to Ken's auction:

I had assumed in my earlier post that 1 !D- 2  !C shows at least 5 clubs.  Ken points out that responder could have a 3334 distribution and cannot respond in a number of no trumps.  OK If I had 17+ I would "invent" a response of 2  !C and if partner showed extras later and bid to 6  !C I would likely convert to 6NT.  After 1  !D -2  !C - 2  !D - 3  !D - 3  !S, neither side has properly made a limit bid.  So this poses the question which side should keycard?  It has to be the hand that has a critical card that has not already been shown. (This is still akin to the principle that the less limited hand asks the more limited)  In this case it is the Q  !C which is crucial to the success ot making 6  !D.  So South should be the one who makes the keycard bid.

As stated earlier, it does not make much sense to have 4  !H here as kickback.  So in ken's auction 4  !H by North should be a control bid.   So I like Ken's auction:
1 !D   2  !C
2 !D - 3 !D
3 !S - 4 !C
4 !D - 4 !H

Ken's next bid of 5NT however, I do not think is the best because it makes the assumption that North has both A and K  !C.  It is true that this seems highly likely , but Marc's follow-up from 4NT to 5 !H Queen ask also locates the K  !C in the north hand.

Another topic:  The general question of minorwood. 

If you believe in the utility of minorwood then you need to define very carefully when 4  !C!D is natural or when it is minorwood.  I would put forward:
Only minorwood when:
1.  The suit has been agreed.  There could be implicit agreement when one side agrees the suit by fiat. 
2. It is the unlimited hand that makes the bid. 

I have not broached the arguments for kickback etc when  !C is the agreed suit.  That is too much for me now.

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »
I'll start by again expressing appreciation for the 12 hands supplied by Marc. One issue with kickback is that it's not an everyday bid. We now have 12 hands where the possible use of kickback could be discussed. I have started on this, I have jotted some notes about each of the first six hands, but right now it is all in pretty raw form.  I am going to confine myself to kickback, leaving minorwwod for another day.

The rules for kickback must, I think, be fairly simple. Meckwell have been playing together for 40+ years and perhaps they have detailed discussions of many different options, but most of us need a simple answer to when something is or  is not kickback. Also, and there is no way around this, nothing comes for free. In the hand that I had, !D have been agreed, we are in a possible slam auction, I have bid 4 !D, partner has the !H A. If we are  playing kickback he cannot cue the !H A, if he can cue the !H A we cannot be playing kickback. So choices have to be made, and we have to be on the same page as to which choice we had made.

I think we have a good opportunity here. We must accept that experts do not agree on everything, for example on whether 1 !D - 2 !C - 2M  shows extra values (Marc says yes, BWS says no, Mike Lawrence says no) but that should not stop us from looking over the possibilities that these hands present.

Today my plans are to play in Day 2 of the acbl practice game, watch the women's final in soccer, work some more on these hands, work on some mathematics that a friend and I are investigating, and go further into the fun book The Woman in Cabin 10. Oh yes, I need to get out for some exercise. And pick the raspberries. I think some of this will not get done! (I have already informed Becky that she has sole custody of the Sunday crossword.) Ah the busy life of a retiree.
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
Ok, time to experiment. I have modified the word document from Marc's lesson so get just hand 1, but with one possible way of using kickback. I will try attaching it, and if this works I will be adding in some more. Just how much more I am unsure of.

Ok, I see that the word doc posted but some of it needs some editing (shows rather than sows, for example).

My idea here is to get a feel for kickback, its strengths, its weaknesses.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:54:50 PM by kenberg »
Ken

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »
Ken. It is great to have all your thoughts on the use of "kickback" and I am sure that what is coming out of it is increasing my understanding of minor suit slam bidding.  However, there is also confusion.  It appears that in Hand 1, Marc's recommended the 4  !H bid by South is a control bid not kickback.  Then 4NT is keycard and the subsequent Q ask where North confirms the Q  !D and at the same time shows the K  !C, very elegantly and perfectly shows every important card that he has making the grand easy to bid. 

My earlier post on this matter argued that you do not need 4  !H used for kickback since 4NT will do the job. Then Hand 2 comes up and  clubs are the agreed suit and 4  !D becomes the better bid for locating the key cards.  Marc comments here  "Note the use of 4D Kickback – this is much better than Blackwood when your suit is a minor".   So which?  4 !D kickback (Hand 2)  and 4  !H control (Hand 1)?

A have made annotations to your thoughts in the word document attached and hope that something definite can come out of it. 

wackojack

• IACAdmins
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 11:06:24 AM »
Sorry, I was unsuccessful at posting my attachment.  So here it is.  Sorry a bit messy.   

MINOR-SUIT SLAM HANDS – Practise Hands

My thought is to use these hands to explore kickback. I will impose the following: Once clubs have been agreed, 4D by either player is kickback. Once diamonds are agreed, 4H by either player is kickback. I understand that this might not be optimal, but I’ll start with that.
What do we mean by “agreement”?  Here is a sequence (off the top of my head so may not be the best) where responder gives preference to ♦s and then opener shows 3 card ♥ support.   1♦-1♥-3♣-3♦-3♥-3♠-4♥.  Is 4♥ now wanting to play in the 4-3 ♥ game or is it kickback?  Another question.  In an auction where ♦s have been agreed and a kickback 4♥ is therefore available, it is not used and 4NT is bid instead.  Is 4NT a back-up keycard bid or is it something else?  My point is that for 4♥ to be taken as kickback you need to tick more than one box.

Observation: When someone launches KB, then, usually, he expects to be able to place the contract after he gets suitable responses. Possible exception: After he gets the response to 4H, then a rebid of 5H confirms all keys, and askes for the cheapest K, but allows partner to go directly to the grand when holding unshown strength that he can reasonably expect to be useful.

HAND 1 (S)
Game All. Dealer South (Board 7)
Hand 1: It is reasonable to expect the bidding to begin:

West      North      East      South
   ---      ---      ---      1D
   Pass      2C      Pass      2D
   Pass      3D            

At this point (not before) D are set as trump so now 4H at any point in the auction will be KB. Who, if anyone, should bid 4H and when?

Perhaps S should do it right now: N holds 3 keys and so responds 4NT (1430). S now bids 5C, asking for the Q.  N sows the Q by bidding 6C, his cheapest K. S is now very happy. Yes it certainly works with this hand, but simple 4NT RKB would also get you to 7♦.
Could 4H by S go wrong? If N has two keys and the Q of D, he responds 5D. So now the grand is out, but 6 should be a reasonable shot. We do not always get certainty either with or without kickback. Instead give North xx, AQ, xxx, AKxxxx and you launch into 4♥ KB after 3♦.  Then 5♣ = 2-Q and then even 5♦ is uncertain and 3N is a better contract. 

So I think 4H over 3D is pretty reasonable. If partner shows one key we get out in 5D, and if he shows two keys w/o the Q we decide whether we feel lucky. Or very lucky

My objection here into launching straight into 4 ♥KB after 3♦ is that you have wasted bidding space.  Also you have chosen to rebid 2♦ over the more descriptive bid of 2♠ on the basis that you are too weak to do this. 

Now looking  at Marc’s recommended auction he implies that 4♥ is “a clear cue bid agreeing ♦s” and 4NT by South is RKB. 

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:08:06 AM by wackojack »

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 01:22:37 PM »
I have avoided kickback because I do think many things need to be discussed else there will be misunderstandings. And definitely one of these things is "When have we agreed on trump?" This can come up in rkc auctions as well. So I decided I will take some simple (?) cases and leave others for later. Here it seems clear that  1 !D - 2 !C - 2 !D - 3 !D agrees on !D although even here there is  a need for thinking. Imagine N as 4=1=3=5.  partner opens 1 !D, he responds 2 !C and now partner rebids 2 !D. N might well think "Hey, we have a !D fit, I should let partner know". But this time they also have a !S fit. So either he delays showing his !D fit to bid 2 !S or else, after he raises 2 !D to 3 !D the auction could still continue 3 !S - 4 !S. So we must ask if raising 2 !D to 3 !D irrecoverably sets !D as trump.  Of course after 3 !D we still might be playing in NT, but have we ruled out playing in !S. I doubt that there is universal agreement on this.

When I, as N, rebid 2 !D it was not because I thought the hand too weak to bid 2 !S. Marc plays it that way, but, as mentioned, BWS does not require extra values for 1 !D - 2 !C - 2 !S.   My reason for 2 !D was simple, I have six of them. Todd says Lawrence recommends 2 !D with five, even if there is a four card major, but here, and I think Todd might agree, I want to see the hand first.

As to 1 !D - 2 !C - 2 !D - 3 !D - 4 !H  taking up space, yes it does, but unless we want to allow for finding a 4-4 !S fit I am not sure it matters. Say S bids 3 !S, as in fact I did at the table. Marc recommends that N bid  3NT over 3 !S.  Is S better off?  I think that now S bids 4 !H. Unless S learned something useful with 3 !S - 3NT he might as well get right to it.  At the table partner bid 4 !C over 3 !S. Reasonable enough, he has six of them. But still? Assuming KB, would not S still bid 4 !H kickback. We were not playing kickback, or at least I wasn't and I think Jim wasn't, so I, as S, bid 4 !D waiting over 4 !C, giving Jim room to cue bid 4 !H if he had the ce. He did, and from there 5NT gets us to 7 !D. But the KB auction would have uncovered the !C K.

About attachments: I need to work on mine a bit. The table showing the auction looks fine on my computer but the attachment has it a bit distorted. I am going to see what I can do. Often technologies clash. On my computer, I have a Word document being brought up by Word. With the attachment, it's a Word document brought up by the the software here. These problems are usually solvable but it takes a little trial and error. Some years back Becky was working on something involving several people, each with their own computer system each using some version of Word, and the various contributions were to be sewn together into one readable document. It was quite a chore. 

Here is how attachment works on my Windows desktop computer: I have a Word document, or some document, on the "computer desktop". I am in the forum, with a planned post that is open. I click on "Attachments and other options". I then click on Choose file: This opens something where I can get to a list of files on desktop. I then double click on that file's name. The name of that file then shows up in the box next to Choose File. I then click save on the forum file I am posting.   This works, at least for my computer.

One of my memories: I was doing something with computers and routers and such and I thought I was going through the stipulated moves correctly. Push this, click that, disconnect this other thing, then re-connect it, and so on. Not working. Eventually I phoned for help. "When you pressed   the blue button did you hold it down for ten seconds?" Well, no I hadn't. That did it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:38:41 PM by kenberg »
Ken

kenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 05:00:05 PM »
I have mildly modified the comments on hand1
Ken