Author Topic: hands, discussion, zoom, etc  (Read 2493 times)

kenberg

• View Profile
hands, discussion, zoom, etc
« on: November 04, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »
After some initial fumbling the zoom session yesterday seemed to work.

About the fumbling: Later I thought about my zoom history. I had set up zoom sessions before but always one on one which I guess is easier. Sessions with multiple participants have always been set up by someone else. Others could hear me (even when i did not realize) but I had to fiddle some to get it so that I could here others. Well, eventually it worked. And while I expected the session to end after 40 minutes, Zoom let us stay. Great.

Since I had set it up I was able to jump in and speak, and I could allow others to do so, and Todd did. One of the things I like about the hands Jack presents is that they are often not clear cut, making discussion interesting and useful. A couple of examples:

After 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !S does Lebensohl apply? I think it should since the 1NT could be on anything from 6-12 highs and maybe a little more or a little less. Playing with the robots I had an auction 1 !D - 1NT - 2 !S - 3 !D where the 3 !D was self-alerted as 6-10 highs.  So Leb off after 1m-1NT-2M.  Assuming Leb is on in the actual auction then 1 !H - 1NT - 2 !S - 3 !D is forcing and this does present the possibility of getting to a 4 !H contract. There was some discussion as to whether 4 !H could be defeated. I am pretty sure it could be, unless declarer was up for running the !H T to finesse against the J, but I don't have the exact hand in front of me.

On a different hand the auction was contested. I opened 1 !C, partner bid 1 !D, my right hand opponent overcalled 1 !S. I doubled, which I hoped showed four !H. Partner assumed that it did and we played in !H. Imo, after 1 !C - 1 !D - (1 !H), a double should be a support double for !D since if opener has four !S he can just bid 1 !S. But after 1 !C - 1 !D -(1 !S) opener, if he holds four !H and modest values, can hardly bid 2 !D so the double is needed to show !H. In short, the X shows !H after the 1 !S but would be !D support if the overcall were 1 !S. Not everyone plays this. And the interest went on Partner responded 2 !H to my X, Rho now bid 2 !S and I, I think optimistically, bid 3 !H. Eventually, after competition, we ended in 5 !H which could have been defeated but wasn't.

This all led to discussion that I found interesting and even useful. Useful is good, but I really like interesting.

Of course we cannot have everyone talking at once but I thought it was good to have a discussion. And, as mentioned, I thought it would have been nice to see people live. But as Todd mentioned, this would require putting on his pants so I guess we can skip that part.

Thanks for bearing with me through the iffy start-up of the session.

Ken

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 03:24:58 PM by kenberg »
Ken