Chew the Fat! > IAC & Master Solvers Club

2024 MAY MSC

<< < (2/3) > >>

Masse24:
PROBLEM A:
4 !H would be pusillanimous. Partner's 3 !S is a control, showing slam interest. We have far more than we promised with the !H AK (unknown to partner) and another Ace. We should be in a force, so pass is presumably forcing. But what is best?
My fear is that they bid 5 !D and muck up the works.
5 !C would certainly show the !C A and willingness to cooperate with the slam move.

I like this problem. Tough one.

I've pretty much made up my mind on this one and six others. But I'm still waffling on one.

Masse24:
CONFIRMATION# 240520859HOLE

SOLUTIONS FOR:
Todd Holes

PROBLEM A: Pass
50/50 between this (forcing) pass and 5 !C. I don’t know partner’s heart length, so would prefer if he bid RKCB if still available. If he gets the answer of three keys he can better place the contract. I see partner bidding this way with as little as Axx QJTxxx – KQxx.

PROBLEM B: 3 Diamonds
After partner’s free-bid 3 Clubs, this should be forcing (there may be dissension among the panel on this), showing a big hand. Although 3 !H asks partner to bid again, this is at least more informative than 3 !H.

PROBLEM C: 2 Notrump
I see no reason to rebid the spades—something I would do with 8 HCP. Partner has, at most, two. And the suit quality is poor. While I initially discounted the value of the !H K, it is now worth something. I assume 8-10(11) or so for partner’s 1NT—this range is systemic--and rebidding 3NT is tempting. But 2NT should suffice. As long as we’re on the same page partner should accept (possibly even showing me !S Hx along the way) with a maximum.
[Added]: One thing that concerns me in notrump is, with a six-card unsupported spade suit, where is our source of tricks?

PROBLEM D: Pass
It’s not my habit to open flat 11s, even in third seat. The only possible option I see is 1 !S. But not for me.

PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
Right on values. Shows 5. I’d like to have a third club, but you can’t have everything. If my spades were better I might double and pull 2 !H to 2 !S.

PROBLEM F: 4 Clubs
Showing primary Clubs (so 6-5?). I do not believe this to be forcing, but it surely shows a massive hand.

PROBLEM G: 5 Diamonds
Though 2 !H is tempting as a lead director, partner will know to lead it if a ruff is needed against a high-level spade contract. 4 !C as preempt Blackwood is mildly interesting—even fun—but would fool no one.

PROBLEM H: Club 3
Difficult. Not fond of lead problems.

yleexotee:
PROBLEM A: 4 Hearts - im not as bullish on the slam
PROBLEM B: 3 Hearts - hoping for maybe a half stopper, to settle in 3nt.
PROBLEM C: 2 Spades
PROBLEM E: 2 Spades
PROBLEM F: 4 Clubs - you know I hate these 4m's. I always get in trouble with these
PROBLEM G: 2 Hearts - starting here first.
PROBLEM H: Club 3  - this one is really tough. I strongly considered a low heart 5, and mildly considered Ace of sp

blubayou:
SOLUTIONS FOR:thomas McQuade3180 NW Division, #106Hobbiton OR 97030U.S.A.
PROBLEM A: 4 Hearts    C'mon--partner just has a good 2-level overcall
PROBLEM B: 6 Clubs     Partner can only have KQxxxxx and zippo''--The other 16 HCP  must be with the opponents.
PROBLEM C: 2 Notrump
PROBLEM E: Double
PROBLEM F: 4 Diamonds--  Too close to  game-in-hand  for "4 !C " and no reason do deny partner from turning up with three hearts (OR EVEN JUST TWO IF THE CLUBS ARE RUNNING)
PROBLEM G: 5 Diamonds    At Matchpoints,  my simulation champ , "4 !D " is a winner--  but the wins are smallish. On the rarer occasions where everybody makes a bunch are game-swings when they come up, and the penalty for overbidding par is usually not double-digit
PROBLEM H: Spade Ace--GOING FOR the tap-out defense, since neither minor lead appeals to me at all

To keep a record of your solution

wackojack:
A: 5♣
Partner has forced to game with 3♠ and east has eschewed supporting ♠s in favour of bidding what looks like a non-forcing 4♦s.  This points to partner having ♠AKxx, or at least ♠Axxx.  Let’s give partner something like ♠AKxx, ♥QJ10xx, ♦xx, ♣Kx or maybe a singleton ♦ and one more ♣ or ♥.  If I pass, will partner cue again missing AK♥? No, it looks like I have to take the initiative and bid 5♣. I trust that partner will sign off in 5♥ with a doubleton ♦ and bid 5♦ with a singleton ♦.  Both of us (breaking the rules?) by bidding 2nd round controls😊 above the game level. 

B: 3NT
All I need for 3NT to be a good contract is for partner to have ♣KQxxx.  What about 6♣? If I put opps with 11 opposite 5, then partner has just 5 and most likely ♣KQ.  Suppose partner has 6♣s and a doubleton ♦?  Even then slam looks like it depends on clubs breaking 2-2.  So, I bid 3NT.

C: 2NT
Points good enough to make a game try so 2NT it is. 

D: 1♣
I will stick my neck out here and open 1♣.  This is risking zero in MSC.  Nevertheless, 2nd guessing what the experts might do in a quiz rather than what you (or they) would do at the table is unproductive.  The risk at the table, I believe, is less than the possible reward.  With 11 the hand is more likely than not to belong to us.

E: 2♠
2♠ looks right and better than double or pass

F: 4♦
I think that 4♦ gets the message over that I virtually have game in my hand and have longer clubs than hearts.

G: 4♦
4♦ The LAW.  Opps have got the balance of points (unless partner makes gross 2♦ openings) Give partner 3 spades then total tricks = 19 and so 5♦ is a phantom. Defending 4♠ I don’t see that a heart lead would be crucial. 

H: A♠
I am lost.  Let’s try A♠

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version